how much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabguy01

Sep 1, 2008
Ravenna Michigan
A friend of mine owns a tree service and they recently won a bid on a lot clearing job for a local airport, so he calls me and tells me and tells me I can have all the wood I want. My question is seeing how it will be about an hour and a half each way and my wood hauler gets 12 mpg whats the most I could haul with my 1 ton and a 20 ft car trailer with two 5,200lb axles? from what he told me its almost all black cherry and a few maples all about 12-18" in 8ft lengths Thanks Nate

You might want to call the mfgr of the trailer for an idea on how much weight the springs will take, etc. What kind of brake system do you have on the trailer?

How fast do you think you could unload the trailer?

All that cherry and I'd be looking for a sawyer.

I figure about 4000lbs a cord for cut 1/4 erd rounds. seasoned wood is around 3700 lbs fresh cut Log lengths are very heavy they have most of the water in them still . You could get about 2 cord on the trailer and i would fill the bed of the truck with one layer of logs . Balance is every thing center your load on the trailer . You should drive with 10% of the trailer weight on the truck . John

thanks for the info on weight of wood just talked to another friend and i will be borowing his 24' gooseneck wihh dual wheels and dual axles that should help alot

nice plain 2.5-3 cords a clip (i will tie a rop around a tree and pull the trailer out from under the pile of wood very quick)

Status
Not open for further replies.