How much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
The local sawmills for the amish have slabwood they are selling. Good large chunks, that will need to be split. They are selling a 6ft bed thrown in for 18.00 which sounds like a good deal. How much wood if its thrown and level or how much stacked? Its all hardwoods like oak.

I would 1/3-1/2 cord either way a steal. 54.00 a cord if on the low side.

I don't know how much but I'd certainly buy a load and figure it out from there. It should be a good deal.

I'm picking up smaller slab pieces and some bigger chunks from a local mill. After 3 fully loaded trips thrown into an 8ft. bed, I've got around 1.5 cords. $10/load, but like I said, about 2/3 of it won't hold an overnight fire. Walnut, Cherry, and White Ash.

With this stuff being largely flat, I am getting more on the truck than when I haul rounds out of the woods.

Sounds good. I know they also sell full cords for 120 thats cut, split and seasoned. The local firewood dealers around here sell the same for 180.00 and it goes up when winter hits to 200.00

Troutchaser said:
I'm picking up smaller slab pieces and some bigger chunks from a local mill. After 3 fully loaded trips thrown into an 8ft. bed, I've got around 1.5 cords. $10/load, but like I said, about 2/3 of it won't hold an overnight fire. Walnut, Cherry, and White Ash.

With this stuff being largely flat, I am getting more on the truck than when I haul rounds out of the woods.

Whoa. It sounds like I have a big problem on my hands. My white ash and cherry (I have no walnut) won't hold the overnight fire! Hum.... Looks like I might have to look up my daily logs from the last 50 years. I must be doing something wrong to have overnight fires with this trash wood.

I think he meant it was too thin or small to get a good overnight burn with the slab wood. I've seen poor slabwood that was mostly bark. Around here there is some decent slabwood.

laynes69 said:
I think he meant it was too thin or small to get a good overnight burn with the slab wood. I've seen poor slabwood that was mostly bark. Around here there is some decent slabwood.

I have some pretty big ones that need burnt this winter.

Ya, it's mostly thin stuff.
Thanks for defending my woodburning honor Laynes.

Think that 4" thick slab wood will season before Dec? No bark. Good sun and air.

Troutchaser said:
Think that 4" thick slab wood will season before Dec? No bark. Good sun and air.

Maybe... Not ideal but it will burn. Allow plenty of air and sun and it should be okay. The woods you labeled seem to dry quicker than some others.

Status
Not open for further replies.