How much wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple man

Burning Hunk
How much wood do you store inside next to your stove
I only store 1 days/nights worth

3 to 4 days worth most of the time.

Between extra space in the garage and the basement ..close to 12 face cords usually...but actually close to the stove..maybe 2 loads worth at times.
I usually stock up there at night reload.
I have over 7 fc's left(mostly ash).. and I burn 24/7 2500 sf. house.

Hi -

It depends...

I store a couple fires worth of small kindling in a pan near the hearth for the kids or when I'm in a hurry.

If I'm running the stove I store little or no wood in the house as I keep a face cord in the attached garage. I haul 2 5 gal buckets worth at a time, and let it burn though the cycle.

However, if my daughters, or other folks are in the house I will keep wood handy for them. Generally enough to last until I can bring more.

I like to minimize wood in the house for reduce the issues with bugs. Ants, spiders, the occasional yellow jacket...

All the best,
Mike

I have a bucket the size of the firebox. This time of year, the wood sits next to the stove in the bucket for 12 hours before it gets tossed in and replaced by the next load. When it gets mild, it sits for 24 hours.

As this is my first year with the stove I am working on the learning curve regarding wood moving eficiency and how much I need in the house to keep the stove going. Stove is in the living area of the main floor of a 1800sq' 2 story.

That said, I keep 2-4 days worth next to the stove(depending on outside temps and how much I am burning) - I also have a small pile of splits on a rug near the door that is warming up to replace the wood next to the stove(average 2 days worth) and I keep a covered face cord on the porch. The porch wood gets a pass if I have time to move directly from the wood pile to the stove so that I have a nice back-up in the event of any real winter weather and limited motivation to get wood from the pile.

2nd back up plan is the face cord I have in the unfinished portion of the basement. This wood gets nibbled on as the season moves along only as needed and is always dry and snow free. I take a little as needed but try to use outside wood as much as possible so that it is there in a pinch. I plan to start using it up as the season moves along and we get into February so that I do not have any to move back outside in the spring.

I will be modifying my wood storage for next season as I get a feel for how much is needed and how often. I like having enough to get through a 3-5 days at a time close and handy so I am not scrambling in and out to keep the house warm.

None. I use a canvas tote to carry the current load to the stove from my storage room off the attached garage. I'll only have wood ready to go near the stove if I'll be away and my wife needs to tend the stove. Cheers!

2-4 days right next to the stove, depending on how hard the stove is running. Then I keep another 2-3 weeks worth in my wood room just off the basement, 20' from the stove.

Attachments

• Basket.jpg
    Basket.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 680
I built a wood storage box right before Christmas. It holds 2 to 3 days of wood for me. (I try to keep the stove putting out heat 24-7.) I don't like to store a lot of wood in the house anyway, but I've found that 1 to 2 days for the wood to sit in the same room as the stove is great for driving moisture out of some of the pieces of wood (old news, I know). Sometimes they get a little rain on them or the ends. More-so this very odd winter than I ever remember.

Cheers

This much usually lasts two weeks.The racks are 40 in. wide and 45 in. tall.

Attachments

• wood stove pics 005-1.jpg
    wood stove pics 005-1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 656
ohlongarm said:
This much usually lasts two weeks.The racks are 40 in. wide and 45 in. tall.

I would take a good beatin from the Mrs. if I ever tried that.
I have 6 rubbermaid tubs and a metal tub and the ash can.
I did finally put a 4x8 rack on the back porch. One of those store
bought jobbies. got it for christmas. I fill everything and bring in as
needed. Maybe a couple tubs.

I seem to burn more wood then I should for some reason.

I hear ya, my wifes from the country we live in the woods she doesn't mind a a few bugs and a little mess all easily remedied.

I keep about a days worth right next to the stove. I have about a weeks worth in rubbermade tubs in the office. I have a weeks worth in the garage (which you cannot access through the house). I also have outdoor storage boxes that hold about two weeks worth. I load the boxes in the house every weekend. I nibble away at what's in the garage and the outdoor boxes are for backup so I always have dry wood should we get significant snow or ice. This system seems to work pretty well for me.

Amount of wood in the woodbox next to the stove: This time of year = 24 hours worth of burning

Amount of wood on the covered, outdoor porch 25 feet from the stove: This time of year = 1 1/2-2 weeks worth of burning

Amount of wood in the woodshed 25-35 feet from the porch: 2+ years

This year? Hardly any. For the most part 1 wheelbarrow at a time. If this were really winter I would have up to a weeks worth.

NH_Wood said:
None. I use a canvas tote to carry the current load to the stove from my storage room off the attached garage. I'll only have wood ready to go near the stove if I'll be away and my wife needs to tend the stove. Cheers!

Same here. We use a canvas tote to bring wood in from the patio outside, and leave the tote sitting next to the stove. Never keep more than that in there to minimize bugs. The tote works well for keeping bugs, dirt, bark, etc. from getting all over the place

I always have about 2 weeks of wood inside. The stove is in the basement and I'll sweep around the racks each time I load up the rack (split into two parts).

I have literally seen 2 bugs this entire winter and the sweeping take less than a minute to do - it's really effortless. Obviously things would be much different if I had a stove in the living room.

A bonus is that my wood is drying out a bit more as it's inside.

I keep around a weeks worth in my cold basement.....it stays in the low 40s consistently down there so I think.the bugs stay fairly dormant. Otherwise the wife would kick me out. %-P

I keep about a day's worth in the house, and I have a rack that will hold about 10 day's worth right outside the stove room on the covered front porch.

I stack a weeks worth in the basement.

never had any problems with bug yet.

Only a canvas bag at loading time, then a full cord on the deck covered just so snow is not an issue. Not so worried about bugs, as I have never seen any, this is just the routine, always has been. Deck last a month, then transfer from the ground next to the deck when the deck gets almost empty. Started with 3.5 cord stored in this manner, if it was a very cold winter would have to haul more home from up north as I went snowmobiling. As it has been an extremely goofy winter, might not have to bring more home.

7- 12 days worth, depending on the weather.

Attachments

• 100_6832.jpg
    100_6832.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 272
A few days worth, when it's full.

index.php

The rest for this season is in the sunporch (which is why the Temco isn't being used, the wood is too close to it). We also have some in our little "shed" addition (it's a useless addition on the Cottage that measures about 3'x3' and nothing else really fits in there anyway). We don't have a basement or garage so we have no other inside storage :(

We will have a wood shed by next season though, we just need to decide on location, construction, size...

I dont' worry too much about bugs, besides, the dog would eat them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.