How much wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres a pic of our setup the day our insert was installed this August. The wood box to the left will hold 2 days of burning and we usually fill it from either the 2 plus cords in the woodshed or from the 1 plus cord I keep in the garage for when theres to much snow, or I just get lazy and don't want to go outside.

firefighterjake said:
Amount of wood in the woodbox next to the stove: This time of year = 24 hours worth of burning

Amount of wood on the covered, outdoor porch 25 feet from the stove: This time of year = 1 1/2-2 weeks worth of burning

Amount of wood in the woodshed 25-35 feet from the porch: 2+ years

Nice format Jake! Stealing w/pride... :)

Amount of wood next to the stove: This time of year = 24 hours worth of burning

Amount of wood on the covered, outdoor porch 10 feet from the stove: This time of year = ~2-3 weeks worth of burning

Attachments

• Christmas 2011.jpg
    Christmas 2011.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 355
  • patio.jpg
    patio.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 243
Wood not stored in the house but it is not far from the stove.

Stoveandwood.jpg

Blue2ndaries said:
firefighterjake said:
Amount of wood in the woodbox next to the stove: This time of year = 24 hours worth of burning

Amount of wood on the covered, outdoor porch 25 feet from the stove: This time of year = 1 1/2-2 weeks worth of burning

Nice format Jake! Stealing w/pride... :)

Amount of wood next to the stove: This time of year = 24 hours worth of burning

Amount of wood on the covered, outdoor porch 10 feet from the stove: This time of year = ~2-3 weeks worth of burning

There's that beautiful postcard fireplace again......I said it before and I'll say it again, that is a beautiful fireplace, Blue.....

Scotty Overkill said:
There's that beautiful postcard fireplace again......I said it before and I'll say it again, that is a beautiful fireplace, Blue.....

Thanks Scotty, that's very kind. We know we are blessed with what we have.

Blue2ndaries said:
Scotty Overkill said:

Thanks Scotty, that's very kind. We know we are blessed with what we have.
you are quite welcome, and we feel the exact same, very blessed with what we have too. I'm slowly but surely getting to the final stages of my fireplace install, I will eventually post pics of it when I get it done. Not sure that it will rate up there with yours, though.

That Fireview is a sexy stove!

A week's worth in the basement by the stove and about a month's worth outside the basement door under the deck. That way I have dry wood on hand at all times.

Next to the stove? Normally nothing. If it's a real cold night, then I'll bring in enough to load it when I first get up in the morning.

But I usually bring 1/4-1/2 cord into the attached garage at a time.

maple man said:
How much wood do you store inside next to your stove
I only store 1 days/nights worth
Yep, me too. Lots in the wood shed just steps from the house. :)

Attachments

• Copper Tub.jpg
    Copper Tub.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 207
  • Wood Shed edit.jpg
    Wood Shed edit.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 187
Just built an indoor rack this year and I load it up about every 3-4 days depending on the weather. I found that besides the wood drying out better and getting that last little bit of moisture off of it, I make a mess hauling wood in only every few days rather than a couple or three times a day. All in all, I'm pleased with the arrangement and have only seen a couple bugs at all.

Attachments

• indoor woodrack.jpg
    indoor woodrack.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 164
ohlongarm said:
I hear ya, my wifes from the country we live in the woods she doesn't mind a a few bugs and a little mess all easily remedied.

My wife jokes (I think) that one of my vows was to keep her warm. I could probably bring the splitter into the basement and she wouldn't care. Upstairs is a slightly different story.

I keep about 10 days worth by the stove.

Our indoor wood looks just like tdcheif's in post #34. Same amount, same container.

This holds enough for about two or three days. The canvas thing holds enough N/S wood for maybe two loads in the stove.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 130
i keep 24 hrs worth in the house in a old wooden crate. more or less depending on outside temps. try to keep it to a minimum to keep the bugs at bay. i have brought beetles and stinkbugs in in abundance.

i have a weeks worth on a metal rack on the sunny side of our covered porch. again, more or less depending on temps and type of wood i am currently burning.

Kaptain said:
I always have about 2 weeks of wood inside. The stove is in the basement and I'll sweep around the racks each time I load up the rack (split into two parts).

I have literally seen 2 bugs this entire winter and the sweeping take less than a minute to do - it's really effortless. Obviously things would be much different if I had a stove in the living room.

A bonus is that my wood is drying out a bit more as it's inside.

+1 I keep two weeks worth in rings next to the stove. It's nice to have easy access and residual moisture from rain, etc is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.