How much would a cord at these prices cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I simply can't believe they mean $65 for one of those pieces. If so, may God have mercy on them......Cheers!

Surprised they didn't say it was seasoned too.

4' rounds are pretty freaking huge but even still thats some price. They dont look 4' round either, but hard to tell since no frame of reference.

if you do the math a 4'dia round x 1.5 feet long is 74 cubic feet
a cord is 128 cubic feet
so one round is more than 1/2 a cord
so two rounds = 148 cubic feet a little more than one cord for 130 dollars

formula pi x r2 x h

ironpony said:
if you do the math a 4'dia round x 1.5 feet long is 74 cubic feet
a cord is 128 cubic feet
so one round is more than 1/2 a cord
so two rounds = 148 cubic feet a little more than one cord for 130 dollars

Sorry, try again.

oops
19 cubic feet per piece
math error
yep he gouging people
390 per cord

I don't see the problem. To me it couldn't be any clearer that he's selling an entire trunk for $65. Then, when you buy it, you can have it bucked any way you want. he needs to tell how long the trunk is.

edit: ok, fine. he does say "one whole piece of trunk" which does make you think of just one round. at any rate, the guy needs to clarify it.

Danno77 said:
I don't see the problem. To me it couldn't be any clearer that he's selling an entire trunk for $65. Then, when you buy it, you can have it bucked any way you want. he needs to tell how long the trunk is.

edit: ok, fine. he does say "one whole piece of trunk" which does make you think of just one round. at any rate, the guy needs to clarify it.

I too read the entire trunk.

That is how I read it. You are buying the whole trunk. One certainly would need to double check that before buying.

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
4' rounds are pretty freaking huge but even still thats some price. They dont look 4' round either, but hard to tell since no frame of reference.
Especially considering that he said the pieces are cut 12-18" long. No way in **** those are 4' around if they're only 12-18" long.

Curiosity got the best of me... That is for EACH CUT PIECE!!! YIKES! He also mentioned that some are only 3' in diameter... pi X r2 X h on a 3' round = 10.6 ft3 = $780/cord and this is assuming you don't get any shorter than 18". I need to get into the firewood buisness!

WOW. That's insane. The most I see it around here is $250/cord,sometimes lesser woods are $200 or a bit less.Also sold by pickup load for $75-100 occasionally.

The words won't last long can be read in several ways too..........

You money won't last long if you burn wood at this price, the wood won't last long in your stove, or the bits of wood won't last long because people are rushing to buy them (third scenario is unlikely).

I would buy a length ask for my bit to be bucked to about 100ft, that would make it a better price ;-)

Ohio is fairly resonable prices for wood too, not like the area is unusually expensive like some are. You can usually fine $100-150/cord, although I can't garuntee they are full cords.

One thing though, using volume calculations remember is giving you the volume of a solid chunk, when you split it and stack it its actually going to give you more volume, due to the air gaps. So in this case you do get more than you payed for, although your paying way more so I guess that still doesnt make it a good deal.

Craigslist is getting better by the minute. This ad reminds of the one where they wanted $50.00 each for a pine round.

No way in hell anyone pays that much for them. He'll be lucky to have someone take them away for free.

$442/cord if they are truly 4' diameter and 18" long- that's without air, so less than $442 when split etc.

Never seen a 4' diameter log that was that clean around- they're always a bit odd and nasty. Looking at the pic- if 12-18" long, then they AREN'T 4' diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.