How much would you pay for the good stuff?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I actually took my furnace out years ago as well, put in a vent less just in case to keep the pipes warm if I'm not here to feed the wood furnace. Still have the tank for dhw & clothes dryer, & oven/stove, but we only use about 1 tank a year. Not so bad in comparison to what it was. A C

Did another load this morning. Need to get set up for milling instead of burning some of this stuff I come across.

Attachments

• 081611 red oak1.jpg
    081611 red oak1.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 081611 red oak2.jpg
    081611 red oak2.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 202
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
To me just doesn't make cents to bring 5k of equipment and labour and then pay too!

Well once again, and just over 24 hours later, your sage advice plays again. Slavin away at work today and get a "U want wood?" text.

I find if they dont take a deal like that the wood never moves an inch......It still an awesome deal for any home owner, normally it will cost them to get it moved! Just takes some a few days to figure it all out.

smokinjay said:
It still an awesome deal for any home owner, normally it will cost them to get it moved!

Yep, definitely a win-win. Couple more loads to do this weekend on this one.

Attachments

• 081611 red oak3.jpg
    081611 red oak3.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 201
Yea buddy! Now you're heatin with wood! A C

lol, and having Ibuprofen with my coffee this morning. It's not a bad thing that the rest of it has to wait until Saturday.

mainstation said:
I just stopped an hour ago over dinner break to inquire at a tree removal job. Hard maple, all blocked up on a town lot, Senior's place-- I know he's not burning wood. Tree guys are throwing it on the truck , "$50. per cord (face cord that is) if you want it. This means I load, deliver and still have to split. "No thanks", and drove away. I can get it in log form by the truck load for $20. per face cord... and I don't mind blocking and splitting with a hydraulic in the least. Besides, I knew the tree guys were double dipping and probably charging the homeowner a G note for the tree removal in the first place.
Easy come, easy go.

Around here you can buy it cheaper than that split and delivered.

smokinjay said:
If the answer is know I leave my name and# and most call me back. :)

I didn't do that yet but I might. He dropped his price from $250 obo to $200 obo tonight.

It always depends on the equipment you have, the time you have, and your passion for processing wood. All of those variables being taken into account, with oil at $4.00/gallon, I have no problem paying for the wood I want, cut to the length I want, dropped 20' from where I want to stack it. But I don't have the the equipment, nor the time to process firewood. I just like to burn it! I pay $200/cord c/s/d.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

I didn't do that yet but I might. He dropped his price from $250 obo to $200 obo tonight.

I would say Yes to the 250.00 but you have to pay for gas and 25.00 an hour labor...... ;-) I would not really waste any-time other than leaving my name and number.....I see others around here that have tryed that and there crap still in there lawn!

Let them keep it! LMAO 880 buried in 50+ red oak. They where wanting 1000.00 for this one 9 months ago! ;-)

Attachments

• oak10.jpg
    oak10.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 133
smokinjay said:
They where wanting 1000.00 for this one 9 months ago! ;-)

I assume that was long before the weeds started growing up around it?

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
It always depends on the equipment you have, the time you have, and your passion for processing wood. All of those variables being taken into account, with oil at $4.00/gallon, I have no problem paying for the wood I want, cut to the length I want, dropped 20' from where I want to stack it. But I don't have the the equipment, nor the time to process firewood. I just like to burn it! I pay $200/cord c/s/d.

I just spent $1,700 on saws and am in the process of getting everything setup stack wise. Have about 3 cords, maybe a little more already, and a friend has a truckload (i.e., 3/4 cord) of seasoned oak & cherry waiting for me. I still want to buy a splitter and trailer(s). Then, I find a guy on Craigslist that is selling mixed hardwoods for $450 for 3 1/2 cords split and delivered. The $450 option is a good one for me if it comes a time when I don't have the time to go and cut and split wood. If I have the time, I am going to do it myself. Figure I might as well save the $450 a year, assuming that 3 1/2 cords is enough to heat the house for a year.

Being a CPA though, I have been sitting here wondering how long it will take me to amortize all this equipment at $450 a year. The saws will take me over 3 years. If I buy a splitter, that is going to take me another 3 years. The trailer will take me another 3 years, if not 5, but at least I can use the trailer for other things. Might have to start selling some firewood to try and recoup my investment. Might have to start mowing grass to recoup my investment in the mower and start doing landscaping to recoup my investment in the tractor I want. Actually, both of those items will pay for themselves within the first couple of years of use.

If I do this for more than 10 years, I will finally come out ahead on the wood cutting/splitting/hauling equipment. Good thing I am only 40 years old.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
They where wanting 1000.00 for this one 9 months ago! ;-)

I assume that was long before the weeds started growing up around it?

Yes it was...lol Takes a 2000.00 saw to bust that one! Just happen to have the only one around. ;-)

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

I would say Yes to the 250.00 but you have to pay for gas and 25.00 an hour labor...... ;-) I would not really waste any-time other than leaving my name and number.....I see others around here that have tryed that and there crap still in there lawn!

Let them keep it! LMAO 880 buried in 50+ red oak. They where wanting 1000.00 for this one 9 months ago! ;-)

Somebody was out of their mind if they thought they could actually make money on that wood in that shape. That is a ton of work to get that cut and split. Most people I have met around here with wood in their lawns have offered it to me for free. Two have been already bucked wood and the third is a ton of trees down on a 3.5 acre heavily wooded lot.

fabsroman said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

Somebody was out of their mind if they thought they could actually make money on that wood in that shape. That is a ton of work to get that cut and split. Most people I have met around here with wood in their lawns have offered it to me for free. Two have been already bucked wood and the third is a ton of trees down on a 3.5 acre heavily wooded lot.

lol Yep Yep, went from 1000.00 to free...It is a nice tree but only to a firewood guy with an 880! :cheese:

smokinjay said:
It is a nice tree but only to a firewood guy with an 880! :cheese:

That game escalates pretty quick as the trees get bigger. I usually don't use anything other than the 71 for firewood. But, the 95 is coming out for the second round of Oak tomorrow.

:cheese:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
It is a nice tree but only to a firewood guy with an 880! :cheese:

That game escalates pretty quick as the trees get bigger. I usually don't use anything other than the 71 for firewood. But, the 95 is coming out for the second round of Oak tomorrow.

Now your talking. This was the first there I ever really needed the big Hog!

Getting closer, he just dropped it to $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.