How much ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to get this tree taken down later this month ... Black oak?

How much you think its going to cost? How much wood will I end up with? 20140821_185258.jpg

What the heck , I got a little experience paying for three trees taken down a few years ago. So my guess is
1k for a tree service to drop it and remove. How much wood 1/2 to 3/4 cord. Also my neighbor had good luck just having the tree service drop the tree very cheap. By doing this he had them carry any liability of a bad drop. Black Oak is good stuff. Good luck to you !

Alot, lol, the tree is near the road and there are houses within its drop range. Probably power lines too. You will need a company with a bucket truck and a chipper w truck if they are cleaning brush. You could make it cheaper by doing the cleanup yourself. Im guessing 4 facecords with all limbs cut to stove lengths and all twigs. With Oak its worth picking up all the scraps. A coworker of mine had a tree dropped in her development (houses really close) and her husband and her paid 2500.00

Why you paying to get it down. Looks like it already is on its side to me. :)

Applesisters guess on yield is probably pretty close. There is less than a cord in the trunk. And that assumes it is solid. Depending on how much limb you keep you'll get up near 1.5 cords. I would more hire a tree service with the goal of creating a supplier relationship than low ball price. Use it as a carrot to get more wood.

Reactions: Tom Wallace
A 22 inch diameter tree is said to hold 1 cord.

Get 3-4 price quotes..... I have a tree co around here that works much cheaper than for a grand....

The fact that it's growing sideways will make it very tricky to fell

Ha .. couldn't figure out how to rotate the picture when uploading from my phone. Will certainly get a few estimates ... my budget for this is a grand ... much more, and I leave it standing till the spring.

I'm going to get an estimates from one company who's dropped wood off here in the past, and another that I see posting 'come and get it' on craigslist all the time (in fact, they posted one today for red oak that's less than 2 miles from my house).

It's hard to judge size online but it doesn't look too big. Near the road which will up the price but it won't require anything special. I don't know why they'd need a bucket truck for it. Id guess less than 1k

Here in God's country if you want a largish residential tree taken down it's between $200-$300 - that's just the take down - no bucking or cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.