How necessary is baffle insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CRJ700

Dec 22, 2017
Long Island
I noticed on my Osburn 1800 Insert its missing about half the insulation.(I must have vacuumed it up) I plan on ordering some more. Can I still burn with out it for now?

Give it a try, your secondaries may suffer a little, run it hotter than usual

Its really not an issue, the drolet version of those stoves doesn't have any insulation and then work just fine. Once your fire box is hot, it doesn't much matter. Probably comes into play on heat up and for the EPA numbers though.

Its really not an issue, the drolet version of those stoves doesn't have any insulation and then work just fine. Once your fire box is hot, it doesn't much matter. Probably comes into play on heat up and for the EPA numbers though.
I have the opposite to say, my parents have a country wood stove insert (circa 2005) the insert is a well made stove with a fire brick baffle, on top of that is an insulation blanket, over the years the blanket fell apart, my dad removed it for a season and burned same as always.. he had a lot more creosote build up / smokier fires that season, he was using dry wood. He had the chimney guy order a new blanket and his clean burns returned the following season, he went from clumpy creosote to a nice fine powder. Short story, the blanket works.

I would want to use the stove as intended and to its full potential. Why send all that heat being lost up the flue and not in the stove and in your home.

I would want to use the stove as intended and to its full potential. Why send all that heat being lost up the flue and not in the stove and in your home.
Ordered a replacement was just curious if it was okay to burn it like this until it came. Thanks for the replies!

Reactions: woodsHAM
Ordered a replacement was just curious if it was okay to burn it like this until it came. Thanks for the replies!
Yes you can burn without it, the stove will actually burn slightly cooler, you may not even notice it, but the fire box will be cooler disrupting the optimal reburn setup, with the epa reburn stoves, the primary fire burns, the cooler smoke stays low and gets reburnt, the hotter flue gas goes above the baffle and out the chimney.