How Often Do You Grease Your Beam On Your Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyronut

Apr 5, 2011
El paso, TX
I just got in my I&O splitter and was wondering how often you grease the beam on the splitter? And what type of grease have you found best? Thanks in advance.

I don't grease I use dry moly spray from Graingers. good EP lube, dries so it does not attract dust and turn into grinding compound.

I oil it up as I use it with some oil I no longer use in any more. Anything will work.

Tom

I've never greased mine. Never will either. Will just make bark paste and a mess. Keep the rail clean and you will be fine. Oil it when you're done to prevent rust if you want. Anything you put on as lube is going to get contaminated from all the dirt/bark on the wood and having oil/grease on the bedrail to attract it is just going to make a mess.

+1

Never use grease. After I am done using it I just spray everything with wd40 to keep the rust off the beam.

davmor said:
Never use grease. After I am done using it I just spray everything with wd40 to keep the rust off the beam.

Same here...wipe the beam down and give it a quick spray to prevent rust. I've had no issues with build up either.

Grease: never.
Used or spare motor oil: once in a blue moon and before I put it up for the winter.

Our splitter basically gets used once per year. Before I shut the motor off I'll put it back into the horizontal position and then put oil on the beam. Then I run the wedge to fully extended and bring it back up. That it the extent of it. Put the splitter in the barn and forget about it until next year.

is this title supposed to be dirty, cause it sounds dirty.
wait, yep, thought so...just confirmed with another 13 year old boy that it is, indeed, dirty.

Backwoods Savage said:
Our splitter basically gets used once per year. Before I shut the motor off I'll put it back into the horizontal position and then put oil on the beam. Then I run the wedge to fully extended and bring it back up. That it the extent of it. Put the splitter in the barn and forget about it until next year.

boy I never thought I would her these words from Backwoods

I never do. Owner's manual didn't mention anything about it.

My neighbor does about every 5 minutes with bar oil in an oiler can, but I think it is overkill...and makes a mess of the splitter.

To each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.