How often do you purchase your pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How often do you purchase Pellets?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2008
Was interested how many people purchase weekly. I bought two and a half tons back in October and am getting down to about two more weeks of fuel left. I want to try out different types of pellets depending on availability.

I have not cast my vote yet because I purchased bulk once, then throught the season I purchase sveral bags whenever I see a brand I have not tried.

I think I needed another category on the poll called "periodically" or "Whenever your see them".

I try to purchase once a year - normally in the Spring.
Only buy what I know I need. After the first year burning
you pretty much can accurately gauge how much ya
will need.

You need a separate category for us pigs---less than once a year.

Twice a season (hopefully). Had our stove installed in the first week of November '08 and have used it as our only heat source since (the propane furnace hasn't been on once). Just finished our first ton last week. When I picked them up, the guy loading told me he'd see me middle/late January. He called it perfectly. Picked up our second ton last Friday. Asked the guy loading (same guy) when I'd see him again and he said next fall. Hope he's right - we'll see. The Pacific Northwest is (thankfully) not as consistently cold as some parts of the country.

Once a year. In July. (oink)

Usually buy in the spring when prices are lowest but if everyone is buying
their winter supply in the spring, the demand will stay high and so will the prices.

Hoping the prices will start to come back down soon and level out atleast
by the end of the summer. I won't touch em at today's prices.

codebum said:
I have not cast my vote yet because I purchased bulk once, then throught the season I purchase sveral bags whenever I see a brand I have not tried.

I think I needed another category on the poll called "periodically" or "Whenever your see them".

What brand is your best burner for heat and clean burning?

constantly!

i have no worrys about shortages with the company i work for , but i buy most of what i burn , just to play with different brands , seems our local outlets get all kinds of pellet brands in and i bounce from one to the other for comparison (hoping to soon unveil an spreadsheet of what ive gotten from each (project i have working) from horse bedding to the premium brands ive burned it all.

note PREMIUM RATED PELLETS , dont bother with less, it aint worth the effort!

stoveguy2esw said:
constantly!

i have no worrys about shortages with the company i work for , but i buy most of what i burn , just to play with different brands , seems our local outlets get all kinds of pellet brands in and i bounce from one to the other for comparison (hoping to soon unveil an spreadsheet of what ive gotten from each (project i have working) from horse bedding to the premium brands ive burned it all.

note PREMIUM RATED PELLETS , dont bother with less, it aint worth the effort!

Those of us who own Englander stoves would be very interested in seeing that spreadsheet.

I do weekly also..no shortage in my area..I've been lucky to have tried many brands and can honestly say the only one that has made a very good impression so far are Walmarts Forrests Pride pellets...I hear Lignetics makes them..burn cleaner and hotter..i
ts easier for me to get weekly due to budget issues..oil delivery won't bother with anything less than 150gallon min@$2.60/gal vs. 10-12 bags@$5.75 and 1st season I lived here without pellet stove we went through a tank of oil every 30-40 days starting in Dec.-Apr...hard to do as a 1 income family..2nd season we bought stove and 4 tons and had nowhere to store pellets except outside under a tarp..not happy when it rained..now i just get the bags weekly and store them in the house

So buying once makes me a pellet pig? I thought it just made me a cheap %^$#@. You do want to make sure that they aren't a problem brand first though. I agree with Stoveguy to only buy Premium. With some of the Premium junk I have seen I wouldn't want to imagine what sort of hedge clippings you would get using less.

5+ tons during the summer. Last winter I had to buy a ton near the end and moving 50 bags in 20 degree weather is not fun. I prefer moving 250 or more bags in 80-90 degree weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.