How often do you snap chains?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
This will be a first for me.

I offered to cut down a 12" yard ash at my BIL.
Never fails!!
Everything went smooth until I got to the stump at grass level.
As I was bucking the trunk I saw in the corner of my eye my BIL walking toward the stump with a shovel.

I thought "crap" I hope he does not ask me to cut the stump below grade. Of course, he did as if it was a natural thing to do!!!

I did have an old semi dull chain in my box. Swapped it as he exposed about 10" of the stump, started cutting and within 30 sec., pop.....
Spooked the be-Jesus out of me. Snapped as if it was made out of plastic!!

I have only done it once about nine years ago. I still have no idea how it happened but it was a company saw so I don't know what was done to it before I was using it. The boss said how did you do it? I said I don't know I was just bucking a log. He went over and looked at my cut and said how did you do that you were just bucking a log? He then shook his head and walked away.

Maybe the chain had damage that was hard to see and it just gave up?

Never have in 26 years.

Reactions: Osagebndr
I've thrown a few chains off, but never had one break. Though conversely, I've seen plenty of relatively thick metal chunks snap like glass because of cracks starting at small rust/corrosion pits. I would suspect a saw chain is no different. If you have an old chain setting around or chain sits on the saw unused for a long period, it would certainly be possible for moisture in the air to form corrosion on the links, pins, etc. Then give it a few minutes use and 'snap'! This also hints at the importance of 'corrosion proofing' any chain you intend to let sit around unused.

I have never broken one either.

I'm no logger, but I've been using chain saws for almost 40 years now.

EDIT to add: I've also only ever used Stihl loops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osagebndr
Cutting stumps is so hard on the saw, although that was a small tree. I've had blades come off, but never break while doing it. Best thing to do when you have to stump especially with big ones, is use 2 or 3 plastic wedges once you get enough room to take the pressure off the bar and saw.

Reactions: Fred Wright
I've had two chains snap while running a saw. Both were 3/8, .050, 20" on a Stihl 361. One broke and shot completely off the bar tip in the direction the bar had been pointing and landed about 15 feet away. The other snapped, stayed on the bar, and one end whipped back with such forch so as to crack the back end of the clutch cover.

Both chains broke at the rivet and tie strap that had been used to close the loop. A known cause for this is using the wrong size rivet or spinning the rivet too far. On one of the chains, I could see markings where the rivet had been spun improperly. I haven't had this issue since I started using another dealer to make my loops.

The more I think about it, the more stupid I feel to even approach this stump with a chainsaw (stupid BIL preasure!!).
Lucky no one got hurt!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 243
I had one on my 170 break when it hit an unseen nail in a log I was bucking. Scared me pretty good, that was the last cut that day even though I had another chain. I was wearing my hard hat with ear muffs and face shield, "felt" something funny and eased off the trigger, just in time

If you make chains, over tightening a rivet so it binds and running it that way will generate heat. That could cause a link to break.

I've cut lot's of stuff in the dirt.

It sure makes a mess. It took me 2hrs to clean the two saws from the sand and soil mixed with bar oil.

Btw.

BIL just dropped off two new stihl chains, one for the 170 and one for the 360. I suppose he felt bad.

BIL just dropped off two new stihl chains, one for the 170 and one for the 360. I suppose he felt bad.

Now that is a thoughtful gent. Sounds like he really appreciated the help.

Now that is a thoughtful gent. Sounds like he really appreciated the help.

I think it was my sister who initiated it. She called me couple of days ago asking where I service my chainsaw equipment....
I was surprised to see him show up with the right chains. My stihl dealer knows me and must have set him up.

Reactions: pen
Thrown a chain in the past . . . but have never had one break.

I have cut a bunch of stumps over the years and never broke a chain cutting one. I have had two chains snap on me and both were old chains and they hit some steel inside a tree. Actually I forgot, I broke one a month or so ago on a Echo cs3400 top handle, I hit an unseen fence post and it wasn't very dramatic. It just went TING and the chain was laying on the ground. I was lucky that I had another chain in the truck for it or I would have been trimming with my MS440.

Yeah, mine just went TING and fell off the bar. It could have been different.......
I was sure I hit metal as well, but all the cutters look ok.

whenever I cut through a fat nail or screw with my MS192TCE.... never with the MS362, have broken a tooth before though
Though the chains that come on the small Stihl saws are cheaper then if you buy a new chain, some sort of cheese ball chain to keep price down says the dealer...

Status
Not open for further replies.