How small do you go before you decide not to split it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 19, 2008
NY
At what Diameter do you decide its not worth the effort to split it? I have been splitting by hand and have a bunch of smaller rounds. At what size do you not even try to split them just add them to the pile and move on?

I dont split anything smaller6-7 inch diameter unless it is green and I want it to dry out fast or if I dont have enough small wood. If it fits in the box save yourself some work and burn it!! My 2 cents worth.

Depends on the stove and firebox size. For the 602 and F3CB, no larger than 3-4". But for the F400 and the T6 I am splitting above 6".

4 or 5 inches, it helps it dry. Like hedgeburner said, some times the 6 of 7 inch will not get split. Just depends on how much splitting of the large stuff that I have left to do.

With the new stove I'm even splitting 4" rounds...and all my splits our smaller than what I did with our old non EPA stove. With smaller splits I can fully load the firebox without bashing the re-burner tubes at the top of the stove. It a PITA from what I was used to splitting but it all make for a smoother stove operation.

Depends on when you plan to burn it.

For this coming season I'd split any green wood 5 inches or greater.

I'm a year ahead at this point so I pile up to 12" rounds , knowing they'll be out of the weather drying for 15- 20 months.

You can also pile the bigger stuff at the back end of the pile so you burn it last,giving it 3-5 months extra drying time.

I use the ol' one hand theory. If I can easily grab a split by the end and pick it up for stacking/loading/burning then it is small enough. I also like them to be square or somewhat the same size in all directions.

If you have a big firebox I would use 6" splits to save time and energy.
I have a 1.8cu ft firebox so I aim for 3" splits.

Highbeam said:
I use the ol' one hand theory. If I can easily grab a split by the end and pick it up for stacking/loading/burning then it is small enough. I also like them to be square or somewhat the same size in all directions.

Yes, the one hand theory is my rule of thumb :coolsmile:

If your talking unsplit rounds, I usually split anything 4-5" and over, mostly because they just don't seem to dry out as well due to the bark. I've seen 2 year old 4" Oak rounds sizzle in the firebox. As far as splitting size goes, I like a good variety of sizes anywhere from 3"-8".

Status
Not open for further replies.