How some people find their way to Hearth.com and the Forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
This is a pretty neat link which updates itself and shows what people are searching for and where the search engines send them to on Hearth.com

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/hearthblog/referrers/

The dominance of Google is pretty clear in this report!
If you refresh the page in a minute or two, you will see the new searches at the top of the list.....happening as you watch!

looking at one of the lines, you see something like:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=propane+instead+of+natural+gas?

This is a google seach on "propane instead of natural gas" and so on.

The page will also give you a good idea on what is in the customer mind. Right now we have a lot of inquiries as to Chimeneas, etc.

I found hearth.com when somebody here I think posted a link from the "fireplace" forum at ths.Gardenweb.com, I found some good information at gardenweb, but boy, nothing like all you folks! :)

Jay

If I remember correctly, I think I found Hearth through gardenweb also. However, I found that link on gardenweb through a google search for outdoor fireplaces.

Good lord I don't have a clue how I found my way here. I know it was four years ago, because I can recall sitting in the dorm freshman year typing posts on the OLD board. Boy that was a different forum all together.

Corie said:
Good lord I don't have a clue how I found my way here. I know it was four years ago, because I can recall sitting in the dorm freshman year typing posts on the OLD board. Boy that was a different forum all together.

For sure. I wandered into it for the first time one night and got my hide removed and hung on the wall for having a Briggs engine in my garden tractor!

That forum was the Wild Wild West.

Of course then I had a long paid for stove and thought I was happy. Now I am damn near bankrupt from buying stoves, chimney liners, PPE, new chain saws and heaven only knows what else.

They're merciless at the GWB, strictly one trick ponies. If you have a pellet stove and it's not a Harman, you're shunned. Ironic because that's what most people logged on were having problems with.

BeGreen said:
They're merciless at the GWB, strictly one trick ponies. If you have a pellet stove and it's not a Harman, you're shunned. Ironic because that's what most people logged on were having problems with.

I was talking about the old hearth.com Forum!

i popped in because a customer mentioned it, he said "you ought to check it out" glad i did! have had a ball in here and ESW ended up getting a pretty nice bonus in young corie as well. i tell customers about it all the time

Corie said:
.... Boy that was a different forum all together.

Everyone (in their best Leslie Neilson voice) "Boy that was a different forum"

:)

I think a lot of it is still "by chance" to get into the forum.... I did a lot of researching when I was looking for a stove a while ago, and many of the searches would bring you to the home page here... just kind of got hooked once I finally wandered into the forum section and started asking some questions.

BrotherBart said:
BeGreen said:

I was talking about the old hearth.com Forum!

Oh, well the same ole folks in general here. In the old forum I found a pretty good dialog running a several subjects, not too different from today's chatter. But navigation was a royal pain and after a couple weeks old threads were gone or very hard to find.

I found my way to the forum while doing research for a new Quad stove. Google took me to the stove review section. Interesting and intelligent mix of mild mannered (usually) folks. Glad to have found the forum and got some good feed back and help in deciding which size of stove to purchase.

Interesting, I forget just what it was that brought me here, but I don't think it was Google. Definitely gotten stuck here since... :lol: I did notice that Hearth.com was the first hit in that Google search, I wonder how much of an impact Web's posting it had - was it #1 before he mentioned it?

Gooserider

stoveguy2esw said:
i popped in because a customer mentioned it, he said "you ought to check it out" glad i did! have had a ball in here and ESW ended up getting a pretty nice bonus in young corie as well. i tell customers about it all the time

Mike,
You are too modest. You came to this site, probably because you knew there was stove talk. You saw and stayed and made a very positive impact. Seems other wood burner sites would have driven you off with criticism and hostility. Corie? Boy are we glad to see he has a home. I don't think we could support him in Philly doing donor stoves for the rest of his life :) Young guys high maintenance, you know what I mean. If he doesn't work out as an engineer, teach him "pashtoo" or whatever they call it in Pakistan and stick him on the phone. I suspect your feet are going to get wet this year.... but you will do a great job as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.