How Sweet it is, SCORE! (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Well I live in kind of a ritzy area, this is the kind of area where you just don't take the firewood left by the road, you make sure you either take all of it, branches too, or "organize" the left overs that you don't take so it doesn't look like you left a mess. I know, I know it is free wood but that's how it is around here. I don't argue with anybody that leaves rounds by the curb, I just take usually all of it or make the spot look nice when I leave. Good karma I guess.

So yesterday on the way to go swimming I see what was the "Holy Grail" in my wife's parents neighborhood, rounds as high as the eye can see. So after I went for a quick swim, I went over and knocked on the door, even though the rounds were beside the road. Always good to ask right.....She said a guy was supposed to come today but if he is not here by tonight it is yours sweet......

So I counted the 2 hours down and went to grab the wood around 9pm, still all there, again, SWEET!

Here are some pics

I see poplar, and a little maple?

Attachments

• IMG_4559.JPG
    IMG_4559.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG_4560.JPG
    IMG_4560.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_4561.JPG
    IMG_4561.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_4562.JPG
    IMG_4562.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 727
Wow! That's a really good haul! Even the little guy looked excited.

I can't say it surprised me that someone didn't show up. I've given stuff away on craigslist before and you wouldn't beleive how many people contact you, set up a day and time...and then never show. You try to do a good deed by giving something away instead of taking it to the dump...

The last scrounge I did, they had people who never showed up. They even had one guy yell at them over the phone. There are some odd balls out there. Anayways, I sent the folks an e-mail and thanked them for the wood and thanked the husband for helping me load. As mentioned...karma.

Nice little HF - type trailer. Is it a folder? How did it do with the load?

I'm planning to get me one of the folders 'cuz I don't have room to store a 4x8 normal trailer (well, I could store it in the front yard, but that would look rather "hillbilly" for our area and I don't think the wife would like that.

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa said:

I'm planning to get me one of the folders 'cuz I don't have room to store a 4x8 normal trailer (well, I could store it in the front yard, but that would look rather "hillbilly" for our area and I don't think the wife would like that.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I've had one for a few years now...it's a great trailer. The one in this post looks a bit different. The tongue on mine is more of an "a" shape. I folded mine up and rolled it around for a bit...but that got to be a pain. When I bought mine, they were using what looked like office chair wheels! I think now they've beefed them up a bit. After building the side stakes, I just tarp it in the back yard. I used some old side walk pavers to build a bit of a "pad" for it to sit on. It's worked out great. I mainly use it for tugging around my ATV. Both are up in VT currently, so I haven't been able to trailer any scroungings.

JFK said:
So after I went for a quick swim

Not sure I would have taken that chance.

Nice score. Clean wood. Looks like easy splitting.
Your gain was his loss!

TreePapa said:

Peace,
- Sequoia

Not a folder, given as a gift from my father in law, this was a lot to put(actually less than this picture however...) in but I was only 2 miles away and I kept it under 35 mph. Nice rounds though are hard to pass up :)

SolarAndWood said:
JFK said:
So after I went for a quick swim

Not sure I would have taken that chance.

Funny thing, once I saw those rounds my swim was about 2 minutes long. My wife could tell that I was not going to listen to anything she said until I had those rounds in my yard. Damn it's like a temporary brainwash seeing free wood :)

Nice score--the wood looks great!!

I just wanted to mention that from the photos, it would seem to me that you WAY overloaded that trailer. Even though you only drove 35 mph home, the load does not look secure to me (rounds are stacked too high over the rails and not tied down) and neither the side panels nor the trailer look sufficiently strong to carry that much wood. I know it's easy to get excited about free wood and want to grab it before someone else does, but, when you're traveling on public roads I think you have a defacto obligation to operate on public roads in a safe manner. All it would take is one round to roll off, or one panel to weaken and snap and the results could be disastrous--resulting in serious injury or even death. In my neck of the woods, if a cop or sheriff had seen you, they would have issued a ticket for "transporting an unsafe load."

Just my $.02

NP

Point taken,
This was actually the amount from my front yard to back yard, I made several trips of smaller loads from the guys house to my front yard.
I have seen what a flying round can do and I agree it is not worth it, well said Nonprophet
It is funny that you talked about an unsafe load, I ticketed a guy last year that had not wood but tires on his trailer, one flew out and smacked right into a another car. The guy actually plead non-guilty...some people..... ;-)

Nice. Don't you love it when "available" and "I have time to take advantage" come together? Agree it looks like poplar.

Yah,I figured it was mostly poplar, they saved most of the maple in their driveway, funny thing, they don't have a woodstove. I am hoping that maple comes to the road someday soon :)

Here is some good Karma, I actually talked to the guy today that was supposed to pick up the wood yesterday. I saw him today rolling some rounds up on a 2 by 4 to the back of his truck. He was older and the whole "operation" looked so scary I just had to pull over and help. He was there for about 45 minutes before I came and only loaded 3 rounds..I came, took the 2x4 away and loaded 12 rounds in about 5 minutes. He lived only a couple of miles away so I followed him to his house and unloaded it for him in his back yard. Never did I tell him I was the guy that beat him to it, I just figured I should help(since I did get about 3 face cords from him being "late" yesterday) Plus I met another fellow wood stove guy :)

Good things happen to good people, eh ;-)

JFK said:
Yah,I figured it was mostly poplar, they saved most of the maple in their driveway, funny thing, they don't have a woodstove. I am hoping that maple comes to the road someday soon :)

Here is some good Karma, I actually talked to the guy today that was supposed to pick up the wood yesterday. I saw him today rolling some rounds up on a 2 by 4 to the back of his truck. He was older and the whole "operation" looked so scary I just had to pull over and help. He was there for about 45 minutes before I came and only loaded 3 rounds..I came, took the 2x4 away and loaded 12 rounds in about 5 minutes. He lived only a couple of miles away so I followed him to his house and unloaded it for him in his back yard. Never did I tell him I was the guy that beat him to it, I just figured I should help(since I did get about 3 face cords from him being "late" yesterday) Plus I met another fellow wood stove guy :)

Good things happen to good people, eh ;-)

Well you seem like a really good person. Good karma indeed. Sometimes you have to wait, other times not.

Holy Cow! those are some big rounds you're heaving up there...good take.

Good score. Safe haul. Good karma.
Happy burning!

There were actually bigger ones but not worth the risk on the back......
I did drive by the spot again and 3 guys were lifting some of the biggest ones.....too big is when I look at the round and say hmmmmmmm, is it worth the risk....nope :)

JFK said:
Well I live in kind of a ritzy area, this is the kind of area where you just don't take the firewood left by the road, you make sure you either take all of it, branches too, or "organize" the left overs that you don't take so it doesn't look like you left a mess. I know, I know it is free wood but that's how it is around here. I don't argue with anybody that leaves rounds by the curb, I just take usually all of it or make the spot look nice when I leave. Good karma I guess.

So yesterday on the way to go swimming I see what was the "Holy Grail" in my wife's parents neighborhood, rounds as high as the eye can see. So after I went for a quick swim, I went over and knocked on the door, even though the rounds were beside the road. Always good to ask right.....She said a guy was supposed to come today but if he is not here by tonight it is yours sweet......

So I counted the 2 hours down and went to grab the wood around 9pm, still all there, again, SWEET!

Here are some pics

I see poplar, and a little maple?

JFK, you brought up a good point that many should be aware of and that is taking wood that is by the road.

Even though the wood is by the road, it is also still on somebody's property! Therefore, if someone takes without asking they could end up being nothing but a cheap thief. So before taking wood, ask. After taking wood, clean up the area.

Exactly!
I don't mind actually taking everything because if there are branches I just put them out by my road and the town takes it in about a week.
Plus I don't want to be yelled at from somebody in their house saying that it is for somebody else.

:) Like just about everything else in life, always good to ask

JFK said:
Point taken,
This was actually the amount from my front yard to back yard, I made several trips of smaller loads from the guys house to my front yard.
I have seen what a flying round can do and I agree it is not worth it, well said Nonprophet
It is funny that you talked about an unsafe load, I ticketed a guy last year that had not wood but tires on his trailer, one flew out and smacked right into a another car. The guy actually plead non-guilty...some people..... ;-)

Whew! That's a relief to know! I saw that load and all I could think was "Wow! That's incredibly dangerous!!

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it in case any newbies saw the pics and thought it was ok to load up a small trailer like that.

Congrats again on your nice score!!

NP

Status
Not open for further replies.