How Thick Overall (Really) is a 6" Round SS Flex Liner when insulated with 1/2"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesmoff

Sep 12, 2008
Searched many times, never really found the answer-
How thick of a tube am I going to be dealing with as I feed an insulated 6" Round SS Flexible liner into a flue?
I realize that 6" with a half inch of insulation on either "side" adds up to 7", but then there's the wire and stuff.

Much thanks.

the insulated liner should stay 7" or under. the wire mesh should be wrappred snug against the insulation. if the liner is a tight fit you could always go with a 1/4" blanket.

I will break it down for you. A 6" liner is generally the inside diameter, so the outside diameter is going to be 6 3/8" add 1/2 insulation which is going to add an inch to the outside diameter so you are looking at 7 3/8". This is primarily why some will go with a 5 1/2" liner.

mikesmoff said:
Searched many times, never really found the answer-
How thick of a tube am I going to be dealing with as I feed an insulated 6" Round SS Flexible liner into a flue?
I realize that 6" with a half inch of insulation on either "side" adds up to 7", but then there's the wire and stuff.

Much thanks.

[quote author="MagnaFlex" date="1233944902"]I will break it down for you. A 6" liner is generally the inside diameter, so the outside diameter is going to be 6 3/8" add 1/2 insulation which is going to add an inch to the outside diameter so you are looking at 7 3/8". This is primarily why some will go with a 5 1/2" liner.

[Can you go with a 5.5" liner when your stove calls for 6"??

mellow said:
The ID of my flue is 11.25 x 6.75. I was able to wrangle a 6" liner with 1/2" insulation down it, mind you with a pulling cone, but it can be done, no ovalizing was done.

Can you pass inspetion if you did "ovaliz"??

I tried to get a 6" liner with 1/2 insulation and mesh covering down my 8X12 flue and was unsuccessful. My main problem was the bulges of cement that protruded from between the terracotta liner pieces. Needless to say I stripped the mesh and insulation was able to get the liner installed (it still was a bear with the cement catching the ridges on the liner).

eba1225 said:
I tried to get a 6" liner with 1/2 insulation and mesh covering down my 8X12 flue and was unsuccessful. My main problem was the bulges of cement that protruded from between the terracotta liner pieces. Needless to say I stripped the mesh and insulation was able to get the liner installed (it still was a bear with the cement catching the ridges on the liner).

Are you talking OD or ID? The OD of my flue is 13 x 8.5. And yes I had the same issue with the terracotta pieces having cement in between but I was still able to get it through, not sure if this is a good idea or not but an idea, drop a chain down your flue and see if you can beat the cement pieces off?

mellow said:
johnnywarm said:
Can you pass inspetion if you did "ovaliz"??

No idea, we don't get inspected in MD. They sell oval and rectangle liners so they must be able to pass inspection?

Thanks mellow! Anybody else??

Status
Not open for further replies.