How thin to not split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thinner branches (and there sre plenty of them round here) tend to get cut shorter, so there less between the ends, say about 6" long.

They seem to dry out ok, and work fine for N/S loading...... :)

I had a bunch of stuff left in the round from summer of 2010 when we were trimming my trees (all... two of them, in my front yard). Chinese elm, if I'm not mistaken, and it seasoned fine. Bark crumbled in your hands when I was stacking it this year and it felt/looked as dry as what was split. These were probably about 4-5" in diameter and about 12" long. Makes for good starter fuel and small fires for when you aren't planning on burning through the day and into the night.

~Rose

I went to check one of my Locust rounds today to see how they are coming along. I like big rounds for the overnight burn. On this load I didn't split anything under 8". I don't have to use these in the next couple of years and they are looking pretty good. I got from 19 to 21% on the meter. The bark has fallen off on its own. One big round and 2 good size splits an it will be a warm night.
This is one that was cut a little long and had to do some trim work. its at least an 8" round.

2011-09-09_11-14-04_626w.jpg

2011-09-09_11-16-40_117w.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.