How tight to the chimney can a Jotul 500 be installed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
I have a Jotul 500 currently in my kitchen. My chimney is 100% masonry and centrally located between the kitchen and living room. We are considering re-doing some of the house and want to move the stove to the other side of the chimney so it is in the living room.

My main concern is being able to put the stove in TIGHT up against the chimney to save as much space in the room as possible. The chimney is 100% NON-combustible. I don't see any limits on proximity to non-combustibles in the Jotul manual.

How close to the chimney will we be able to keep the stove? I assume stove pipe will be the limiting factor. If we use the flue collar in the vertical orientation, the stove pipe elbow will probably determine the distance into the room. Will using the flue collar horizontal shorten the distance?

ac

I have a Jotul 500 currently in my kitchen. My chimney is 100% masonry and centrally located between the kitchen and living room. We are considering re-doing some of the house and want to move the stove to the other side of the chimney so it is in the living room.

My main concern is being able to put the stove in TIGHT up against the chimney to save as much space in the room as possible. The chimney is 100% NON-combustible. I don't see any limits on proximity to non-combustibles in the Jotul manual.

How close to the chimney will we be able to keep the stove? I assume stove pipe will be the limiting factor. If we use the flue collar in the vertical orientation, the stove pipe elbow will probably determine the distance into the room. Will using the flue collar horizontal shorten the distance?

ac
Coming off the back of the stove directly into the chimney will likely be the shortest. What are the inside dimensions of the chimney? The Oslo calls for a 6" round = which is approx 28 sq. in. Anything larger likely won't work very well.
How high is the chimney? I also run an Oslo--it's a straight up installation... all 6" pipe. I started off with about 14 feet--with very disappointing results!!..did not draft well at all. Ended up adding another 6 feet - works great now!

Hope this helps.

I believe the manual has all the clearances in it, at least mine did.

Chimney is 7x7 terracotta. Height is about 16'. I currently use it now with ok results. I will probably slide a 6" round liner in when I turn the stove to the other side.

This thread isn't about clearances. I have NO combustibles. It is about how to get the stove as close to the chimney as possible to save space in the room.

Ac

Status
Not open for further replies.