how to access photo eye??? P11 Traditions / P300T?? HELP!!!! PICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

millerfoto

Nov 21, 2010
oregon
I bought this stove last year used and as the winter wore on it began to be harder to keep it going. I started it up again this week and it keeps turning off after varying times, usually less then a hour. The thermostat is set high. My problem is that a cant access the photo eye to clean it. I thought this was a Whitfield P300T but the owners manual shows it being in the hopper under the housing. My housing opens reveal the auger and nothing else...
I can see the eye from the back but there is no way i can access it without taking the blower out it seems.
Anyone have a clue about this and help me out????

Thanks

Richard

Attachments

• CIMG6184 (Small).jpg
    CIMG6184 (Small).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2,122
  • CIMG6187 (Small).jpg
    CIMG6187 (Small).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,236
  • CIMG6191 (Small).jpg
    CIMG6191 (Small).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,156
  • CIMG6194 (Small).jpg
    CIMG6194 (Small).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,779
Either clean the eye and/or clean the stove, GOOD. seems it maybe plugged if it is shutting down. Could be vacuum issues.

IMO, sounds like it could be classic "dirty stove" problem...was the stove taken apart & completely cleaned when you bought it? The fact that you mentioned it getting harder & harder to keep going leads me to think this.

some of the early units have the photoeye mounted below the auger looking down the shoot. you will have to remove the blower and remove an "L" shaped piece of sheet metal that hides the eye. You'll have to do this basically blind because there isn't much room to work. after pulling out the sheet metal just reach up into the space and feel around for the eye (about the size of a tube of chapstick) and pull the tip (the sensor itself) off. you can then wipe it down with soft cloth or something. Quite often with this setup the problem (photoeye wise) is sawdust covering the slit the eye is looking through. try cleaning the shoot and you should be able to feel the slit (about the thickness of a butter knife). If you are concerned about doing this again in the future I do believe there is a relocation kit you can do to move the eye into the hopper area. good luck

On mine - T300P-2, the eye is relocated to just above the auger. Just pull a couple of screws when the hopper is empty and it's right there.

When i pulled it out during an end of season cleaning last June, it was fine so you may want to relocate if you are having issues.

Aaron

I agree with imacman about doing a good cleaning... try the 'leaf blower' trick if you can... after you've cleaned your stove.

I think it's good that some folks are keeping some of those older stoves going... cheaper and still useful.

smwilliamson said:
Buy a 110 °F ceramic low limit switch and mount it to the exhaust housing, there will be a plate covering the hole from when the design was actually a real Whitfdield. Connect the wires from the eye to the switch. Done.

not such a bad idea, but most whitfields used an f140..

OP,
might need to do the upgrade if you are having issues, call lennox for the current relocation kit part number

lots of info about the eye in the svc book, shoot me apm for a copy (include your email, and stove model)

Status
Not open for further replies.