How to accurately take stoves heat output

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Ok, I have searched and no such topics as I can see. How do you all take the temp of the heat that is blowing out of your stove. I have a meat thermometer stuck in a blower tube which is not very accurate, and I can hold my hand steady enough to hold it in from of the blower to get and accurate reading. I know I saw some pics before of some of yours but I can find them...

My wife's way. Stand in front of stove about 18 inches away. Turn 180º and stick out your back side. With in a minute she knows what pellet is in the hopper. No fancy tools either. She will point to the stack. I just don't know how she does it! :)

My way and I wouldn't call it proper. I just measure the air temp, Not the stove temp. But I really feel that as long as you do it exactly the same for each brand. It shouldn't matter much. Those cheap magnetic flue temp thermo's work good enough. The IR guns are picky about surface temps. Shiny surface is tougher. if all you have is an IR try for a flat black area.

Status
Not open for further replies.