How to add stroke limiter to log splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crappie cat

Jan 6, 2009
So Ill
We have a new Gravely 27 ton splitter. Any way to add a stroke limiter?

Attachments

• gravely splitter.jpg
    gravely splitter.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 566
Piece of appropiate sized channel channel cut to your desired length. Slip down over rod when needed. May have to notch out some corners etc . to fit right. Glue in some old fire hose or inner tube to keep from scratching the rod.
Metal shops usually have cut offs they sell cheap instead of throwing in the scrap dumpster.

For the return stoke, I'm guessing. I am asuming that you have a detent in the return position of your valve. Is your valve in such a position that a mechanical "kick out" could be fabricated, activated by the returning wedge that could push a rod or some thing similar to return the valve to neutral?
If you are thinking of limiting the "split" stroke, nevermind, I just let go of the lever.

fortunateLEE said:
Piece of appropiate sized channel channel cut to your desired length. Slip down over rod when needed. May have to notch out some corners etc . to fit right. Glue in some old fire hose or inner tube to keep from scratching the rod.
Metal shops usually have cut offs they sell cheap instead of throwing in the scrap dumpster.

Can split the right size PVC plastic pipe & clamp it on with a couple hose clamps too.
(if its the type of valve to trip out on ram return pressure)
Something easy to remove so when stored, you can retract it all the way so it don't rust.
The make clip on doughnuts that work also. Saw them somewhere??

Yes, the return stroke trips on ram pressure.
Thanks for the replies, lotta good ideas here.
Like the pin Fire God, does it rattle?
Now if a pvc / steel pipe were used over the shaft wouldn't that put undue pressure on the ram seal?

crappie cat said:
Like the pin Fire God, does it rattle?
It does make a clunking sound when it kicks out.

Drill a hole in your I-beam where you want the shuttle to stop, and drop a half inch bolt in it and tighten it down. The return pressure will kick the valve into neutral when the shuttle hits the bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.