How to build a half-round corner hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SasWalk

Apr 21, 2022
PNW
Hi everybody,

I am having a new wood stove installed in a couple weeks and am going to build my own hearth pad for it. The stove is a Blaze King Ashford installed in a corner. The pad will be be made with 3/4" plywood with 1/2" Durock screwed to the top, followed by brick veneer tiles. It will sit unattached to hardwood floor. The problem is that I want the front edge to be a half-round shape. I want to build the pad as a square then cut out the half-round. What is the best tool/method to cut the half-round shape in the Durock? It would be much easier to make the pad with the typical angled lines in the front, but we just don't like that look. I think I covered everything, but let me know if more information is needed.

An angle grinder? (Mask, safety glasses...)

I bought a carbide blade for my jig saw for cutting cement board, works great. Use a mask and safety glasses, the stuff is nasty.
Went and looked my blade is a Diablo.

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker
I bought a carbide blade for my jig saw for cutting cement board, works great. Use a mask and safety glasses, the stuff is nasty.
Went and looked my blade is a Diablo.
This is the direction I have been leaning. Thanks for the affirmation!

I've cut plate material with curved lines with my angle grinder, through and through in multiple passes (taking care that the larger with of the cut due to the direction changes is on the outside of the line).
In the end the circular end of the plywood/durock/tile stack will have to be covered by something anyway, so if it's not a perfect cut it would not be visible?

I agree though that a jigsaw is likely easier.

Regardless, protect your eyes and lungs.

I've cut plate material with curved lines with my angle grinder, through and through in multiple passes (taking care that the larger with of the cut due to the direction changes is on the outside of the line).
In the end the circular end of the plywood/durock/tile stack will have to be covered by something anyway, so if it's not a perfect cut it would not be visible?

I agree though that a jigsaw is likely easier.

Regardless, protect your eyes and lungs.
Yes, I will be wrapping the front edge with corner tiles. I think I will be going with the jigsaw.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes, I will be wrapping the front edge with corner tiles. I think I will be going with the jigsaw.
as you should indeed for this job.
It has been so long that I used mine, that I had simply forgotten about its usefulness :)