How to build a wood trailer out of an old boat trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wldm09

Mar 16, 2009
Northwoods, WI
What do you think? We have had it full. 160 cu. ft. 1.25 full cords. Its 22 feet long... plan is to built a platform for a 22T Speeco splitter on the long tongue...

Attachments

• Trailer before - 20080730.jpg
    Trailer before - 20080730.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 2,954
This picture is after I torched off all the boat components, welded on stake pockets, and built a deck/sides out of treated lumber.

Attachments

• trailer with wood.jpg
    trailer with wood.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 1,926
Well I think that's a heck of a nice job you did there Woodsman.

Very nice looking job on the cargo part of the project. Watch the loaded weight...the axle rating's important. I'm assuming it has no brakes. Not sure about mounting a splitter on the tongue, that may drive it way over the allowable tongue weight for safe towing. Typically, the towing vehicle wants no more than 750 lbs tongue weight. Clever adaptation of a useful undercarriage...good job! Rick

And remember... If they don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

You seem to have a shortage of duct tape there.

-SF

(Oh yeah... what kind of weight rating does that old boat trailer have?)

I second the tongue weight concern. Thats the problem with boat trailers. The wheels are far back to acount for the engine weight of a boat. Putting too much weight on the center or front of that trailer will apply too much weight to the tongue.

very nice job. i think putting the splitter on the tongue.is asking for problems. mabey making a custom heavyduty rear bumper to hold the splitter plus being able to tow the trailer is the answer? just a thought.

Thats just what I did!

Thanks for all of the positive responses. It's been a fun project. Over Memorial Day I put LED tail-lights on it so now its legit. I am thinking of selling it and buying a tandem. Any idea what someone might pay for this?

Hey, Woodsman, great job on the single axle. Tandem axle trailers are a whole different animal. You might already know tandem axle trailers are extremely difficult to maneuver in tight quarters. It is almost impossible for one man to turn them by hand, even when the trailer is empty and on a smooth concrete garage floor.

If you go tandem, I would suggest two things: 1) Disc brakes on at least the front axle. Both axles is better. The Tie Down company makes a very nice set of disc brakes which are pretty easy to install in one weekend if you have the tools and mechanical skill and the axles on the trailer have the necessary brake mounting plates already installed; 2) Moveable axles so you can adjust the tongue weight to 10% to 15% of the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the loaded trailer.

http://www.championtrailers.com/ has all the info you will need for a disc brake installation.

Good luck if you go tandem. Many of us will be jealous of your new wood carrier.

John_M

Status
Not open for further replies.