How to build an insert for a chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Iowa Average Joe

Dec 16, 2023
Iowa
I have a 1927 bungalow with a fireplace. There is a very simple insert consisting of hollow tubes which serve as the wood rack. There is a blower which circulates the hot air into the room. We've used the fireplace every winter for over 30 years. The chimney is now in disrepair and I would like to install a chimney liner but keep my current insert. I also plan to replace the chimney crown and repair the brick above the exterior roofline. The problem is that the simple blower insert does not have a top to connect to the chimney liner. What I'm thinking of doing is building a sheet metal liner inside the firebox with a top to accomodate a liner. Does anyone have experience with that? I'd like to know if it's feasible, what type of sheet metal to use, and how far back in the top I should make the hole for the chimney liner.

I plan to install a top damper and would like recommendations on that as well as the best kind of liner, 4, 5, 6 inch? Smooth wall, insulated?

Thank you for any insight.

I think some pictures here would help people visualize what you have there. I’m not a pro, but it sounds like you’re describing some pretty funky equipment you have there currently. Maybe some pictures will make things more clear.

I think some pictures here would help people visualize what you have there. I’m not a pro, but it sounds like you’re describing some pretty funky equipment you have there currently. Maybe some pictures will make things more clear.
I've attached a front view of the insert/blower, a side view, and a couple shots of the flue. I'm trying to figure out how I can bring a 5-6" chimney liner into the firebox and have all the smoke go through the liner given that my insert has no top. My thought was to build a 3 sided steel structure to cover the walls and finish with a top attached to the new liner.

I'm now thinking that perhaps I could remove the damper (I'll have to do that regardless) fashion just a top and seal it to the brick walls.

IMG_20231217_111715357.jpg IMG_20231217_112153301.jpg IMG_20231217_114245108_MP.jpg IMG_20231217_114941181.jpg

This is a frieplace heat exchanger and not an insert in the conventional sense. It does not get connected to a liner because it does not contain the fire in it's own firebox.

I've attached a front view of the insert/blower, a side view, and a couple shots of the flue. I'm trying to figure out how I can bring a 5-6" chimney liner into the firebox and have all the smoke go through the liner given that my insert has no top. My thought was to build a 3 sided steel structure to cover the walls and finish with a top attached to the new liner.

I'm now thinking that perhaps I could remove the damper (I'll have to do that regardless) fashion just a top and seal it to the brick walls.

View attachment 320887 View attachment 320888 View attachment 320889 View attachment 320890
To install a liner you need it to me sized properly for the fireplace. There needs to be a ratio of 10 to1 between the firebox operating and the flue. It will need at minimum 10"