How to build fireplace damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nathan123321

Jan 22, 2017
Ontario Canada
Hello I am 15 and wanting to build a fire place where the heat, heats pipes, and forced air goes thru them. (Very good heater) to heat my shop. I want to make a damper for the fireplace to let the fire be hotter or cooler. And I am having trouble thinking about how to make it, the fireplace will be steel. I am aware that you can buy a barrel stove kit that comes with a damper piece but do not want to spend a lot of money. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Do you mean a fireplace or a stove? Barrel kits cost less than $100, pretty cheap for a stove. Maybe not the best stove but they put out a lot of heat fast. I doubt that you can buy the metal for that amount.

Just a word of caution 1st since I imagine your parents are paying the bills; placing an unlisted, homemade, or otherwise untested stove in a structure will likely void any insurance coverage on it. Now on to the build; Why? Believe me, I build stuff all the time that costs more than it would to buy (why buy it for $20 when you can build it for $40 right). Usually the case is that I think I can build a better version. I don't think you'll find this is the case with stoves. There are a lot of good used stoves out there for WAY cheaper than the cost of steel. Running forced air through heated pipes gains nothing vs just getting a stove with a blower. There are plenty of examples if you Google tube stove. As for a damper, there like $9. Again it would be an easy build , but why? Search damper and copy the pattern if you insist.

If you don't own the structure the heater's going into, I'd really suggest an electric space heater. Even if nothing ever goes wrong, at a minimum you are talking about doing a roof penetration on someone else's building.