How to build Holtzhausen?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
I have looked in the search, but I can't find the link to "how to build a Holtzhausen". It was a link on how to do it with an elf looking character on it I think. Can somebody send it to me.

Or if searching here, try "holz hausen". I just started building one myself.... ;-)

man I just dont get those things. 31, I cant imagine that they reduce the amount of space you need and #2. I just dont like the looks of them

Adirondackwoodburner said:
man I just dont get those things. 31, I cant imagine that they reduce the amount of space you need and #2. I just dont like the looks of them

I got close to 3 cords in my 8x8' HH. How can you not like the looks?

I guess I am just a traditional woodpile guy. rows..

Is there a way to create a Wiki article on Hearth so that future ?s on building a HH for the 1st time can be pointed that way

I guess it's a taste thing. If made neatly- I like the way they look. I do think that they save space- you can put 2 cord of wood in an 8' round space and it should dry about like rows (most accounts here say that). I hide my rubbish barrels behind mine :)

This is my first year building HH and I am addicted to them. I just finished #3 and am sussing out a place for #4. I build them about 6.5 feet wide and 6 feet tall so that I can reach everything easily. I also figure that smaller is more stable.

Todd said:

I got close to 3 cords in my 8x8' HH. How can you not like the looks?

Adios Pantalones said:

I guess it's a taste thing. If made neatly- I like the way they look. I do think that they save space- you can put 2 cord of wood in an 8' round space and it should dry about like rows (most accounts here say that). I hide my rubbish barrels behind mine :)

Actually an 8' diameter HH that's 8' high holds pi cords of wood :) 3.14159 etc

It's why I'm doing an 8' HH myself - when people ask how much wood I have in it I can answer "pi cords" :)

If you put a sloping roof on as most HH's have then (since the volume of a cone is a 1/3 the volume of a cylinder for same height and radius) drop the outside or cylinder height by 4" and raise the middle by 8" (so cylinder height is 7'8" and centre height is 8'8" to maintain pi cords :)

I too like the look of them but so help me I'm gonna find out if they season faster or slower and end all the speculation.

I'm on the East Coast, so same as Sydney time, GMT + 10 hours. If you are US Central Time (GMT -6 hours) then we'd be 16 hours different - we're 16 hours ahead all the time, it makes up for being upside down :)

FatttFire said:
I have looked in the search, but I can't find the link to "how to build a Holtzhausen". It was a link on how to do it with an elf looking character on it I think. Can somebody send it to me.

If you are still looking for an elf character HH how to, perhaps this will be the link you saw earlier?

http://www.thechimneysweep.ca/6seasoningwood.html

thanks for your guys help

I am so addicted to this site, I think she might be right, maybe I am sick.......... oh no ...... now I am talking to myself ........... oh god, I just waved to my wood pile....................... lol ..................

Damn woman always trying to ruin our fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.