How To Burn A Non-Cat - With Thanks To Member Wildrose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhonemas said:
Anyone trying to do E/W, the BIGGEST secret and I'm surprised they didn't show this in the video is simply to make sure you push your ashes to the sides before loading so there's a tunnel under the front splits so air can get into the center/back. My unit can take 14" N/S logs, or 24" E/W and I love wide logs they stack extremely high.

Ahh! I'm on the right track then. This morning I tried another E-W load and the back log from last night was still barely intact enough to move it to one side, so I did. So I basically have the coals all up front and a something on the side to lift up one side of the splits for better air. It still seems like I am loading more wood than I did previously, but based on the amount of coals I had left, I did get a longer burn. Come to think of it, the house was a couple of degrees warmer too. I guess it makes sense :)

FYI, I've only been burning my new stove since the first week of November, so I am still learning the nuances. The technique I had settled in on so far was to rake the coals into a N-S bank in the middle and put a small 2-3" round on either side of the coals with a couple of inches between each small round and the side firebrick. I would kind of sandwich in the coals and then poke them if necessary to allow air flow right down the bottom middle. Next I would lay 2 or 3 larger splits or rounds E-W on top of the coals/rounds. Last, I would place an another layer on top consisting of 2 to 3 small (1-2") rounds or splits laid N-W, or other miscellaneous scraps. I would leave the door open an inch or two until the fire gets going good and then just gently close the door without clamping. Its surprising how much air still gets in this way. Once the stove top reaches approximately 300 I clamp the door. Damper down to 1/2 at 400 to 500, then down to 1/4 or less a few minutes later at around 600. Stove temps usually max out 600 to 750 this way with enough coals left after 8 to 10 hours to restart easily with little or no kindling and a little blowing on the coals. Nice clean firebox in the morning too, though it does smolder for a few minutes when I start. Thats the opposite of what I noticed this morning, BTW. With last night's E-W burn there was no smoke or smoldering at startup, but there was a slight darkish residue in the firebox instead of the nice bright firebrick and baffles.

Sorry for the long post, sometimes its hard to stop!

After viewing this video, I came to the realization that I have been babying my stove. Like so many posts that I have read, I had a hard time maintaining the stack temperature in the "burn zone". I also had problems with keeping the temp's in the zone once I got there. More fuel initially, rather than during the burn cycle, had not occured to me. Also, can't wait to get home and try the top-down light off method. This site and it's knowledgable posters and moderators have made the switch from LP-G to wood an easier process for us.

My stove is more of an east - wester...

I use the north - south to get her going from a sleepy bed of coals and then eventually load her up east - west for an extended burn if needed.

I use east - west for overnight burns all the time. The NEED here is a good and hot bed of coals. You cannot get a good burn the way she did it - me thinks.

G

CTwoodnpelletburner said:
My stove is more of an east - wester...

{snip/}.... You cannot get a good burn the way she did it - me thinks.

G

All stoves are different, even the same stove will burn differently depending upon environment conditions. I think she/he did just fine and with a Master of Fire conducting the interview I doubt he would have shown anything different! :coolmad:

Enuf said

Great videos, leave it to the Canadians, gotta love em - go Habs!

Thanks for posting the links.

My homestead likes east-west for a long overnight burn. I like to let the fire die down to coals an hour before loading for the night, then rake the coals all across the front, lay the big splits in the back and then whatever will fit on top of the coals. char everything for about 5-10 min. with wide open on the air control, then down to 50% for another 10 min. then close the air all the way down and go to bed. Seven hours later still have a hot stove 72-74 deg. in the house and plenty of coals to light it up again. In the AM I rake coals to the front open the air fully, put a couple small sticks on the coal pile then one split in back, one on the sticks and another diagonally across those two, if it does not light off right away I crack the door for more air and this usually gets it lit, and if not then light the lighter and stick it in by the wood, then it will definitely light.

Status
Not open for further replies.