How to buy a use pellet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldmom

Oct 18, 2009
Boston, ma
I am looking for info on what to look for when buying a used pellet insert. I have a 2500 center hall colonial that I can't afford to heat these days.

I have seen some available on Craigslist and they ranged in age from $800 to $2500 to buy and some include piping.

Some questions I have

What size stove to get?
How old is too old?
How should age affect the price?
I have some tiles infront of the hearth area now so would I need a hearth pad also?
What brand are the best ones to buy used? I haven't been considering the Lowes or Home Depot brands

Here's one I was looking at its at least 8 years old Whitfield Pellet stove insert . Runs great. 800 firm or there are more expensive newer ones

Thanks any info would be greatly appreciated

What are you currently heating with now?
Reason I ask is that right now the cost of pellets is about equal to home heating oil....might go up in the future, but some pellet folks will chime in with more info

Moving to pellet area as more appropriate...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.