How to bypass large LP tank for a smaller one - Hot Water Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

perry

Burning Hunk
Feb 14, 2008
auburn hills, michigan
Would anybody know if I can bypass my 500gal propane tank and hook up a smaller tank like a 40gal ? . just need something to run the hot water tank like right now. How to shut off and unhook the large tank and hook up small tank safely . do I use the exiting copper line and regulator or a BBQ style regulator? and will it run through the large regulator on the wall ?
propane2.jpg
propane1.jpg
propane3.jpg propane5.jpg

exiting large valve on wall

propane3.jpg

Shut off the large tank and disconnect the small copper line that goes into the second stage regulator on the house. Put a plug into the flare fitting on the copper line that has been removed. Hook up the smaller tank to the regulator and check for leaks.

That is how you do it. Whether you should do it, or if it will work, I don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: old_ and perry
Shut off the large tank and disconnect the small copper line that goes into the second stage regulator on the house. Put a plug into the flare fitting on the copper line that has been removed. Hook up the smaller tank to the regulator and check for leaks.

That is how you do it. Whether you should do it, or if it will work, I don't know.

Thanks for the info , will a BBQ style hose with the little regulator hooked to the house regulator ? , or should I just a straight hose hookup into the house regulator ?

Thanks for the info , will a BBQ style hose with the little regulator hooked to the house regulator ? , or should I just a straight hose hookup into the house regulator ?
Just a connection between the tank and the second stage regulator at the house.
The second stage regulator should have been set to the correct pressure to be able to deliver sufficient pressure to every appliance in the house.

Just a connection between the tank and the second stage regulator at the house.
The second stage regulator should have been set to the correct pressure to be able to deliver sufficient pressure to every appliance in the house.
I should add that some things are better left to the professionals. I have almost been blown up twice by homeowners who did their own gas work and connected gas fireplaces to full propane tanks with no regulators.