How to check draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

propguy

Sep 26, 2006
I have a new VC Defiant.this replaced the old Vigilant. Anyway I can't seem to open the top door to refuel or the front doors without some smoke coming in. I do have 2 90's or close to it. So I am thinking the draft is the problem but just want to make sure.

Thanks PG

Well ...........How about i put it the way my red neck brother says to check.

Open the door to the stove , stick you butt into the stove opening and fart .............

Pull your butt out of the stove ...........

Stick your head in the stove ............

(A) If it smells bad than you have low draft ......

(B) If no smell then you have good draft ..........

Rednecks have there own way of doing things , I dont know if this is the answer you were looking for or even if it helps .....but there ya go.

Good one Roo,

I got to tell my buddies that one.

What is the diameter size of your chimney? Is it the same as your stoves exhaust collar?

Call the store you bought the stove from, tell them the situation, and maybe they can come out with a draft meter and check it out.

Roospike said:
Well ...........How about i put it the way my red neck brother says to check.

Open the door to the stove , stick you butt into the stove opening and fart .............

Pull your butt out of the stove ...........

Stick your head in the stove ............

(A) If it smells bad than you have low draft ......

(B) If no smell then you have good draft ..........

Rednecks have there own way of doing things , I dont know if this is the answer you were looking for or even if it helps .....but there ya go.

I did that already.................after I came to....uh.. What was the question? :eek:hh:

Todd said:
Good one Roo,

I got to tell my buddies that one.

What is the diameter size of your chimney? Is it the same as your stoves exhaust collar?

Call the store you bought the stove from, tell them the situation, and maybe they can come out with a draft meter and check it out.

Hey Todd,
The pipe is 8" and the exhaust out of the stove is the [Football shape] eliptical VC .

PG

BikeMedic said:
RSpike,
You should add that you should wait until the flames die down to attempt this test.
Hahahahahaahhahaahaahaahaaaaaa.
LOL :lol:

Actually that another test ...........Draft is with no flame

With a flame that is the "pipe/stove seams pressure test" , Com-mon man ........get it right.

We need more info on your setup pictures would help

Hey roo that's about as funny as a fart in a space suit

elkimmeg said:

Hey roo that's about as funny as a fart in a space suit

Hey Elk.. I will get some measurements on the pipe but it goes something like this

Up from the stove about 2 1/2 feet to an aprox.90 then 2-4 feet to a 90 into the chimney . The 2 -4 foot section is angled [not sure of the exact "'s per foot but I will check.

The chimney is masonry [cinder block] inside the home. The outside is about 4' tall through the center of the house and IS the highest object within 85'.

I have contacted Craig about a Extend a flue but I am trying to make sure that will help the problem, I don't want to "burn hundreds of $'s if thats not going to help..

PG

I think your older Viligant was .
probably leaking which aided your draft. Now that you have a new tight stove, it exposed the weakness
of your current venting setup. First suggestion would be to use 2 45 degree elbows and eliminate both 90's

If you have common single wall vent pipe then your current elbows are nprobably multi angle adjustiable.
Which means the can be used converting them to 45's or adjusting them as needed

elkimmeg said:
Well I dont know if my brother will pose for pictures doing his draft and pressure check but i will ask becasue your wanting pictures ................O' You were talking to propguy . :lol:

elkimmeg said:
I think your older Viligant was .
probably leaking which aided your draft. Now that you have a new tight stove, it exposed the weakness
of your current venting setup. First suggestion would be to use 2 45 degree elbows and eliminate both 90's

If you have common single wall vent pipe then your current elbows are nprobably multi angle adjustiable.
Which means the can be used converting them to 45's or adjusting them as needed

Do you think increasing the flue height would help?

"It aint easy movin 500lbs around ya know" :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.