How to check splitter pressure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I just ordered a new cylinder rod for my splitter. Unfortunately it comes at a considerable cost. I want to make sure the new one doesn't get bent like the old one. Is there a way to check the valve to be sure the pressure limit is working?

Attachments

• splitter 12 wheels.jpg
    splitter 12 wheels.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 256
  • splitter valve.jpg
    splitter valve.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 267
To check pressure install a tee with gauge in the line from the pump and control valve. Adjust relief pressure with the screw under the cap on the side of the valve inlet port.
Usually the rod gets bent due to a mechanical problem.The beam on a splitter almost always flex to some extent. In the pic of your splitter the front of the cylinder is clamped tight to the beam but the rear of the cylinder appears to be sliding away from the beam.

Run the ram to full extension and hold the lever there. If you do not stall your motor, the relief is working. This doesn't help with the pressure reading, but does confirm/deny if the relief valve functions properly.

Reactions: BrianK
To check pressure install a tee with gauge in the line from the pump and control valve. Adjust relief pressure with the screw under the cap on the side of the valve inlet port.
Usually the rod gets bent due to a mechanical problem.The beam on a splitter almost always flex to some extent. In the pic of your splitter the front of the cylinder is clamped tight to the beam but the rear of the cylinder appears to be sliding away from the beam.
I will be adjusting the cylinder mounting, once I get the new rod installed. Everything will be square and parrellel.
This was a rental splitter. It was bent when I bought it.

Also make sure that the shuttle/shoe does not have excessive wear. If it gets too sloppy, it can put undue pressure on the cylinder.

Also make sure that the shuttle/shoe does not have excessive wear. If it gets too sloppy, it can put undue pressure on the cylinder.
Expect to do this also. Thanks

Run the ram to full extension and hold the lever there. If you do not stall your motor, the relief is working. This doesn't help with the pressure reading, but does confirm/deny if the relief valve functions properly.
Winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.