How to clean a Tulikivi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxt

Jun 16, 2008
Hudson Valley, NY
Any special things to know about cleaning out a Tulikivi 2700?

I'm a little late in getting my Tulikivi cleaned, and all the chimney sweeps around here are, of course, booked solid. I've been able to disconnect and clean the flue from the top of the unit to daylight (it was clean). What I am not sure about is how to clean out the inside of the unit. On this unit, there are three access ports - one at the top where the various chases are brought together before exiting to the flue, and one on either side of the base.

Removal of the top port cover and inspection of the inside reveals some fly ash on the horizontal surfaces. Removal of the bottom ports covers also reveals ash that has collected at the bottom of the chases on either side of the unit. The installation has only been in service for three years, and I know that these burn pretty hot and clean. I don't see any creosote on the surfaces that I can see.

What I don't know is this: given the circuitous path that the exhaust gases take from the firebox to the flue, do I need to try and get to any other areas within the unit, or does the design of the unit and the location of the cleanouts make it as simple as "open cleanout port and vacuum"?

Tom

Haven't seen too many people here with a Tulikivi. My cousin has one, not sure which type. Very nice looking soapstone stove (not a giant masonry heater like some of what they sell).

I think they are higher priced which is why fewer people here have them. That is what steered me away when I was initially looking.

Yes, I figured it was a long shot but I figured it was worth a try.

I agree, the cost was higher than almost every other option we looked at for an efficient but esthetically pleasing unit, but we decided this would be the thing we splurged on for the house when we built it. We're glad we did, it's a very nice even heat and the soapstone looks great in the room al year 'round.

We have built several masonry heaters and I have followed up with the customers over the years, and I think if you just clean up and vacuum what you can see and get too you will be fine, but we have not done any Tulikivi stoves, but the principles are the same. Knowing what I know (which sometimes is not much) if you are not seeing any creosote in the crevices then the stove is doing what it is suppposed to and you are doing what you are supposed to. I would clean up the dust and go back to burning.

If your flue is clean I doubt you have to worry about the heater itself since it burns so hot. I suppose you could take a long shop vac hose and vacuume out any loose fly ash if it starts getting to be too much?

Would be nice to see some pictures of your set up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.