How to clean an insert vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robsmt

Oct 27, 2009
Lehigh Valley PA
I'm a new stove owner. I have a Quad Mt. Vernon insert and was wondering the best way to clean the vent pipe. It is a 3" liner directly attached to the exhaust blower. The liner is fed up my existing chimney which is about 23-25 feet. Any help would be appreciated!

I have an insert too…......I pull my vent off the rear of my insert & use my handy homemade adapter to connect my electric leaf blower's outlet to my liner & fire up (pun intended ! ) the blower to clean the vent out. (Blows the soot up & out) Then I use my ash vac to clean the combustion blower & the rest of the stove innards….......Keeps me off the roof too !
Not quite as easy as connecting the blower's suction side to thru the wall venting on free standing stoves, , but its worked for me.

Tom in Oh

How often do you clean your stove with the blower ? Do you ever use a brush and do a though job ? I am installing a pellet stove in my garage ,which will run every day but usually not 24 hrs .
I bought it used ,the guy said he had only used it for ,four months ,it was filthy . I was hopeing that I would only have to clean it once per year .

Excell said:
How often do you clean your stove with the blower ? Do you ever use a brush and do a though job ? I am installing a pellet stove in my garage ,which will run every day but usually not 24 hrs .
I bought it used ,the guy said he had only used it for ,four months ,it was filthy . I was hopeing that I would only have to clean it once per year .
After every ton or sooner of you run your stove on "low" a lot...

Arnold - How is your connection made to the blower? Mine is high temp siliconed on. Do I cut the silicone and reapply after cleaning? Sorry if this seems basic, but again I am new to this. Thanks

I also am about to try the leaf blower trick but from the outside since my pipe outlet if 5' above the ground out the back wall.

robsmt said:
Arnold - How is your connection made to the blower? Mine is high temp silicone on. Do I cut the silicone and reapply after cleaning? Sorry if this seems basic, but again I am new to this. Thanks

Yes......... you have to remove the vent from the stove outlet & re silicone the connections when you're done.

(Pulling the insert out to clean it is a real PIA, but you have no choice.)

Your cleaning schedule will depend on how many tons you go thru. I get by with it(blower trick)just twice a season. I give the inside of the stove a very thorough cleaning every couple days & don't let much ash build up in the burn pot area. It makes a real difference what brand of pellets you burn too........try several bags & see what brand burns the best for you with the least ash. Better pellets = less build up.

Tom

I have a Whitfield insert with the vent pipe going all the way up the chimney.

I have a cleanout T at the bottom of the pipe that I can take off and on fairly easily. It is about the size and shape of a tuna can. I clean this out after every burn or two. Also, I tap the vent pipe and find that most of the ash will fall into the cleanout.

Finally, I purchased a pellet pipe brush and three feet extensions that screw together. I use this once a year when the season is over. I go all the way up the pipe with the brush. I also unhook the pipe from the stove as I have about an 6 inch horizontial run. I find ash from the stove builds up in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.