How to clean glass door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dodger

Aug 21, 2018
maryland
Hello all,

I am a new woodstove burner. I recently purchased the jotul f55 carrabassett stove and over the weekend, performed the break in burns of 200, 300 and 400 degrees. I do have a little bit of soot on the inside glass door.

How should I clean that. I know it says to use a glass cleaner specifically designed for woodstove glass, or you could wind up etching the glass. Are there any other alternatives, such as, can I wipe the glass down with a dry cloth, or newspaper. I'm just trying to keep it clean for viewing and overall health. I sure am grateful to everyone for all of your knowledge.

Best regards all, dodger

dampen a paper towel or some newpaper, dip it in the ash, and clean with that.

PS: Search on Clean glass. There are dozens of threads on this topic that should be helpful.

Hi begreen, I also wanted to say, that just about a month ago, you recommended the jotul f55 to me over the PE T6, which was the other stove i was contemplating, and although I can't compare the two, in an actual working environment, my newly acquired jotul f55, per your input and feedback, is outstanding. While it is not cold yet, I performed the recommended break in, and was simply impressed how the stove performed. Wow, what a pleasure. The efficiency, the amount of wood used compared to a fireplace, just has me in a weird way, anticipating winter, when I have hated that onset. U know now, my home will be warm, comfortable, with this radiant, dry heat.

Again, much thanks, sincerely

Reactions: begreen
I have found that paper damp paper towel alone works really well as long as the door isn’t too thick.