How to clean glass -- FireplaceX Large Flush Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MD-Uker

Oct 5, 2015
Washington, DC suburbs
Hi!
I have a new FireplaceX Large Flush Wood insert. It cranks out a ton of heat. Problem is, I am getting a stubborn buildup on the glass. Anyone know how to avoid that? Any hints on how to clean it off? I am afraid to taking a scraper or something like that to it, because I don't want to scratch it.

1) Make sure you're burning in the "zone" . . . a lot of times gunk will burn off my "glass" with a couple of fires that are at the right temps (i.e. not too hot, and certainly not too cold.)

2. Most of the gunk I get can be wiped off with a damp paper towel. If there is some built up gunk I may dip the paper towel in the fine ash and use that to clean up the gunk.

Reactions: MD-Uker
I use fireview glass cleaner. A few years ago they reformulated it, and it's not as good as it used to be, but still works. The issue is the wood your burning isn't seasoned. Keep the butt ends away from the glass.

Reactions: MD-Uker
You may already know, but clean the glass cold. A damp paper towel dipped in ash then wiped clean is the best that I have found. The wife was even impressed that it will clean grease splatter from the oven door!

Ash trick is all I use, as mentioned a damp paper towel and a bit of ash for the stubborn crap....

Ash trick is all I use, as mentioned a damp paper towel and a bit of ash for the stubborn crap....

Wow, I am having to use bar keepers friend or green scrubby sponge. The ash and newsprint just isn't cutting it. Maybe ya'll are right, maybe my wood isn't seasoned enough. I'll have try out that moisture meter gizmo and see where it lands. Problem is, I had 1 and 2 year old logs that mixed up when they got split :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.