How to clean nickel on Fisher XL Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb1951

Oct 10, 2007
SE Indiana
My husband and I are restoring a Fisher XL that has nickel-plated doors. The previous owner stored the stove in a barn and the nickel plating is pretty corroded in places. I cleaned it with baking soda and then with a salt/lime juice mixture that I found online. It helped, but there are still some spots that are pretty bad. We're afraid to sandblast it for fear it will damage the nickel. Any suggestions?

When the wife decided that she wanted to buy a Perfection B Boston Stove Foundry Wood stove for Kitchen cooking, she found a guy in Massachusetts that had one (have it up for sale by the way, if you are interested; not a thing wrong with it, just never use it), and he had the Nickel-plated trim pieces "out for re-nickeling." Obviously, there must be places that do that sort of thing.

I work for a company that buys products that have Silver and Copper Plating on them. Corrosion is a big demon in our world. "Finish" is also a big deal. When we want correction of bad "finish," we send it out for re-plating.

Perhaps, since your home remedies did not completely satisfy your needs, perhaps you should consider taking the pieces to a professional and pay to have them "re-nickeled."

-Soupy1957

i know there is a specific cleaner for nickel, as for brass, probably find it at your local hardware or grocery store, i'd try that 1st before sending it off

You can use Flitz I think. But do it gently and just once a year. This is just plating.

I like Maas Metal polish. Handy for brass, copper, aluminum, gold , silver, even cast iron.
If you're on the west coast, and the corrosion is so deep it goes down to the cast iron, Valley Plating in Stockton CA. is a father/ son foundry & plating shop that does an excellent job on stove parts quite cheap.

Are your doors the "SUN" type, or "Fir Tree" type?

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Coaly, the doors have the polished raised sun with mountains below the sun. I'm sure it was a real beauty when it is was new. It's in amazing shape except for the corrosion on the nickel. It is HUGE. It has a 10" rear flue.

I checked with Valley Plating and some plating shops in my area and got prices of $360 to $550 to have the doors replated so we're going to keep trying to remove the corrosion. I'll post a picture when we get it ready.

The sun motif was due to a solar energy addition to the business that never took off.
Here's what the rough raised portion looks like compared to the deburred replated doors. Normally the smooth one had the background painted black. This one has not been painted. It would look better with paint, but that's what a new nickled door looks like. Both these stoves are new, out of the box, never fired.
I paid $1025 for the rough one, with original finish, and the polished, replated one is for sale for $1600. Make sure you're not contacting the large Valley Plating in L.A. No idea of their prices. The smaller Valley foundry in Stockton should be cheaper.

Attachments

• XL 10.jpg
    XL 10.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 719
  • XL 9.jpg
    XL 9.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 681
  • XL Replated 3 9-17-2011.jpg
    XL Replated 3 9-17-2011.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 643
  • XL Replated 2 9-17-2011.jpg
    XL Replated 2 9-17-2011.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 942
Wow, Coaly, they are absolutely gorgeous! The sunburst stands out better against the black background, but I'm not so sure I don't like the solid silver doors better. I definitely like the polished finish.

I contacted the one in Stockton (valleyplating.net). Their price was $380 plus shipping, which would be pretty high from Indiana to California and back. After seeing what the doors look like after being replated, I'm going to check a few more places to see if I can't find a better price.

Thanks for the pricing info. We'll be selling ours once we get it finished and we've been wondering what price to put on it. Of course, if we get ours looking as good as yours I don't know if we'll be able to part with it.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.