How to clean the violet sheen on wood insert glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brae09

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
When I look at the glass against a light, I can see a kind of violet or purple sheen on the glass. Was it cause by wrong chemicals used in previous cleaning? How can I clean that off? I've tried Rutland glass cleaner. It cleaned off other dirty stuff but the sheen is still there. I'd appreciate any pointers you may have.

I don't know about the sheen other than to say I don't have it, and all I have used is damp newspaper dipped in ash. It works perfectly. I can't imagine using any other products after trying this. Maybe give that a try?

The glass used is actually ceramic and it's quite thick. Viewed with light coming from certain angles you will see various colors. It's not a stain but rather a part of the ceramic itself and cannot be removed. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Newspaper dampened with a bit of ash is the best way to clean glass. If it still has some color, then it is part of the material science.

When I look at the glass against a light, I can see a kind of violet or purple sheen on the glass. Was it cause by wrong chemicals used in previous cleaning? How can I clean that off? I've tried Rutland glass cleaner. It cleaned off other dirty stuff but the sheen is still there. I'd appreciate any pointers you may have.
What brand of stove is it? Some come with coated glass, it will have an almost mirror like sheen in certain lights. Hearthstones all have this type of glass. Once the fire is started, the coating is not noticeable.

Reactions: Woody Stover
My Hearthstone cast-iron stove glass has a purple/green shine to it, when viewed at an angle (even when perfectly clean). It came that way and it has stayed that way...I like it.

Last edited:
The stove is a VC Winterwarm. I suppose it could be coated glass. But it is not even though, kind of blotchy. It is only visible against the light or a white surface. There is one area that is a little darker and more like a smoked color. I tried both the Rutland stuff and ash. It didn't seem to help much. Perhaps I didn't rub it long enough. Maybe I should make it the Karate Kid exercise, "wax on, wax off." Thanks for all your replies.

9b9aee5c2f_Wax-on--wax-off.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.