How to clean this creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJK440

Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2008
Southern Connecticut
I'm a DIY guy. I've been cleaning my chimney with a soot eater and it works great getting the liner down to clean terra cotta from the smoke chamber to the top. But always struggled with cleaning the walls of the smoke chamber. One side especially (pictured) with a glossy black tarlike coating.

I broke down and ordered a liner and insulation kit so this is hopefully the last time I am cleaning the masonry.

What can i use to knock this glossy stuff off? Keep in mind of course its up above my 5x20" damper opening so getting in there is difficult.....

Attachments

• How to clean this creosote
    DSCF9541.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 185
Keep in mind of course its up above my 5x20" damper opening so getting in there is difficult.....
Cut the damper out of the way which you will need to do anyway to install the liner correctly. And it will be much easier to access. We typically use a rotary cleaner with either chains or cables on to get off stuff like that. You clay liners are not clean enough either from what I can see.

Cut the damper out of the way which you will need to do anyway to install the liner correctly. And it will be much easier to access. We typically use a rotary cleaner with either chains or cables on to get off stuff like that. You clay liners are not clean enough either from what I can see.

I haven't started yet, the clay liner gets clean. My damper is cast iron and built into the chimney I know i am going to have to cut a bit to get a 6" round liner thru otherwise I'll have to ovalize but I'll have to look to see how much access it really gives me.

Status
Not open for further replies.