how to cut Lopi surround panels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digrox

Jun 1, 2011
northern Virginia
Hi all--

I had a Lopi Answer wood-burning fireplace insert installed this week. I had to get the 10" surround panel kit to completely cover the fireplace opening above the insert, but the panels extend farther to the sides than I'd like (covering up more of the brick hearth than I'd like), and I'm considering having them cut down to better match the fireplace opening that they cover.

Can anyone tell me what metal the panels are made of (stainless steel?) and what my best option for having them trimmed may be? I assume this isn't something I can do myself (or at least not do well myself) with hand tools or woodworking power tools.

Thanks much.

I'd get the dimensions you want and take it to a sheet metal fabrication shop and have them cut it with a shear. That will get you a perfectly straight cut. No way would I try using hand tools. You could probably use snips for the trim pieces, but a band saw or a dremel w/ cutting wheel would probably end up looking much cleaner. I'd be very careful if the trim is gold anodized, as it could chip. A sheet metal shop could do this in just a few minutes, so it shouldn't cost much at all.

If you have any welding equipment around, you Could try using a plasma-cutter or an oxy-acetelene/oxy-propane cutting torch.

There are definitely some sheet metal shops around-- I'll give one of them a try. The material is pretty straightforward-- it's all just black (painted, I guess) metal-- no gold on the trim. The installers told me I might be able to use a hacksaw in a miter box to cut the trim pieces (which are basically like black picture frame sectionals), but that the big ol' flat panels would be more difficult.

Definitely no welding equipment available to me-- although a plasma-cutter sounds pretty awesome. :)

Thanks for the suggestions--

digrox said:
Definitely no welding equipment available to me-- although a plasma-cutter sounds pretty awesome. :)

they're super fun to use, & they create a much cleaner cut than a gas torch (which means less grinding!)... I used one all the time in high school welding class... one of these days I would like to get one (as well as some various other welding equipment) for myself... oh well, another thing to add to my list of things to buy someday ;)

Anyways, best of luck with re-sizing your surround... def. keep us updated, maybe even some before & after pics... (if you hang around here long enough, you'll start to see that people on this forum like pictures :))

digrox,
be sure to take your stove manual with you so they can see how the surround is put together. Your not changing the height, so the side trim pieces shouldn't need modified. The top trim piece will need to be cut down at both ends. It looks like there is a small flange for the "L bracket" to slide into. Make sure that this runs the full length of the top trim piece. If it doesn't, then talk to the fabricator about coming up with a solution so that you will be able to connect the trim pieces together. Good luck.

Just wanted to say thanks to the folks here for the advice on trimming the surround panels. I disassembled the surround over the weekend, and took the pieces to a local sheet metal shop this morning. They made the cuts in a couple of minutes, I reassembled everything (even found the tiny set screw that I thought had rolled under the insert never to be seen again), and I think it looks great. Total cost for the cuts was $20. Success!

Before (great big surround) and after (smaller surround) pics are below.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 757
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 753
Looks great. Have the same stove and surround, and I think I might try the same with a local sheet metal shop.
You will like the Answer Insert....heats our home nicely.

Thanks-- we're looking forward to trying it out! Got plenty of wood cut and seasoned from an oak that came down last spring; the weather just needs to get cold (it's supposed to be up around 100º here later this week).

That's a nice improvement, good job!

Hello

Looks much better cut down. It is more proportional!

Do you have the blower in the Lopi? That really belts out heat!

digrox said:
Just wanted to say thanks to the folks here for the advice on trimming the surround panels. I disassembled the surround over the weekend, and took the pieces to a local sheet metal shop this morning. They made the cuts in a couple of minutes, I reassembled everything (even found the tiny set screw that I thought had rolled under the insert never to be seen again), and I think it looks great. Total cost for the cuts was $20. Success!

nice job! that Lopi looks sharp! CONGRATS!

digrox said:

digrox said:

Status
Not open for further replies.