How to deal with HUGE logs.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mhrischuk

I got a load of huge ash logs and a little saw. I can move them around fine with my tractor but I'm not sure how to get them down to splitting size.

Some of the other logs I got are locust and beech. More is still coming.

0008.jpg

0013.jpg

Here is three cords that got dropped off last night. I'm really happy with it. Getting another cord delivered. They couldn't get it all on one truck. This is seasoned for this year just to get me going. I won't need to buy any more in the future unless my back goes.

0006.jpg

Blackpowder?

What size bar do you have and how big are those rounds?

36" on average, one is over 50" but it's oval with the narrow part around 36"

I have a stihl 260 18"

I like the black power....Noddle or just man handle the into the splitter vertical of course! Love rounds this size roll and spin, you really only ever miss your mark once! ;-)

Crosscut as much as you can and then noodle as much as you want.

Larger saws make things go faster and easier.

Insert wedges as needed to keep bar from being pinched.

Vertical or noodling, either way it's a lot of work...but worth it!! I wish I had your situation 4 sure! Love the ash........

If this isn't a problem often, you could just rent a chainsaw with a long bar for an hour or three. It should only cost you a couple of bucks and would probably save you a lot of time... and cursing.

Great!! For the few truely large logs: I just cut with the 20" bar from both sides and maybe the top, Then wedge off the 1/2 moon shaped sections as best I can then move further down after parting the 'core' at a slight angle.

If I had reason to believe I'd have to do this regularly I'd get a longer bar and a 7900 Cyl & Piston for my Makita 6400. : )

Great score & delivered!

[quote author="mhrischuk" date="1314909325"]I got a load of huge ash logs and a little saw. I can move them around fine with my tractor but I'm not sure how to get them down to splitting size.

Some of the other logs I got are locust and beech. More is still coming.]

Years back I had the same problem with some really large oak. I bought a Stihl with a 36" bar and worked them down to size which was about 22-24" thick. Then since they were too big to handle for the splitter either horz or vertical, I used my Cat backhoe bucket with a good set of teeth. That split em to where I could use my log splitter. I say this because I know you have a backhoe and would be capable of pulling this off!!

mhrischuk said:
I have a stihl 260 18"

I'm sorry but I got a good chuckle out of that. No matter how much you love Stihl, I believe you are out of 260 territory. ;-)

But at least now you have an excuse to buy a new saw!

wendell said:
mhrischuk said:
I have a stihl 260 18"

I'm sorry but I got a good chuckle out of that. No matter how much you love Stihl, I believe you are out of 260 territory. ;-)

Yep, time for a 660. I've also found that when dealing with rounds that big, it's easier to maneuver the splitter.
Scary looking load. Judging by the six bolt hubs on that trailer, it may be a tad bit overloaded.

wendell said:
mhrischuk said:
I have a stihl 260 18"

Oh boy... shopping again.

I was thinking about a Husky

mhrischuk said:
I got a load of huge ash logs and a little saw. I can move them around fine with my tractor but I'm not sure how to get them down to splitting size.

0008.jpg

0013.jpg

Here is three cords that got dropped off last night. I'm really happy with it. Getting another cord delivered. They couldn't get it all on one truck. This is seasoned for this year just to get me going. I won't need to buy any more in the future unless my back goes.

0006.jpg

Smokins 880, nice size ash.

zap

mhrischuk said:

I wonder what that funny looking vine is? Can't really tell for sure from the picture.

Good looking wood for sure and yes, maybe it is time to think about a little bit bigger saw.

Umm. Seasoned just a year? How? Doesn't look to be split and stacked except for that one small pile but even that is not stacked so it get benefit of the wind. If it were me, I would not want to burn that wood this winter.

jeff_t said:
...Scary looking load. Judging by the six bolt hubs on that trailer, it may be a tad bit overloaded.

Ya think? %-P

mhrischuk said:

It looks like a 390 would serve you well.

Mike,

I think you are referring to seperately having wood that is seasoned for htis year, and that you wouldn't be burning this load htis year, right?

If not, then only burn the ash from that load - ash will burn ok even freshly split - but otherwise that load is definitely not seasoned for this year.

wendell said:
mhrischuk said:

It looks like a 390 would serve you well.

+1 This works for me now,until I strike gold & can grab the 3120 :coolsmirk:

Attachments

• Husky288XPW at rest after milling hickory slab82011.jpg
    Husky288XPW at rest after milling hickory slab82011.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 864
  • Husky288XPW New 28in. bar & chain,High Performance Air Filter System.jpg
    Husky288XPW New 28in. bar & chain,High Performance Air Filter System.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 859
Joe look at the pictures. That pile of split wood was delivered last night at 10:00 pm under lights. It's a bout a year and a half seasoned oak. The splits are small .. it looks good and dry. Another cord coming soon. All the logs are for following years.

I picked up a Dolmar 7900 that looks like it has never been used for $500 about 1/2 hour ago. Think I'll go play.

Attachments

• 3k33o93p45Q15U25P4b8t47b77c7feb9b1a18.jpg
    3k33o93p45Q15U25P4b8t47b77c7feb9b1a18.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 528
Hey Mike, Sorry man - missed the split stuff and thought you were referring to the logs. I know your skill in this stuff but I believe you are a new burner, and alot of new burners get told by wood companies that their full log lengths have been "seasoned" a year and such...

Should not have doubted you :)

joefrompa said:
Hey Mike, Sorry man - missed the split stuff and thought you were referring to the logs. I know your skill in this stuff but I believe you are a new burner, and alot of new burners get told by wood companies that their full log lengths have been "seasoned" a year and such...

Should not have doubted you :)

I am a newbee and doubting me helps me learn. You are saying those people might fib a little? I hear you. I had all kinds of light (night drop) when the truck pulled in. I wanted to see the load before he dumped it. Looked great from the top and once he dumped it was consistent through and through. If it looked shady I would have sent him on his way.

mhrischuk said:
I picked up a Dolmar 7900 that looks like it has never been used for $500 about 1/2 hour ago. Think I'll go play.

Nice. HD air filter too. Now go buy a 32" bar.

mhrischuk said:

Well now, it looks like this problem has been solved. :cheese:

I'd bet that vine is English Ivy; it doesn't look like Poison Ivy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.