How to deal with poison oak/ivy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its dies slower but I have had good luck killing it with Glysophate. I hear tell to mix a little diesel in with the mix to give it some kick. I also keep the calcium from tractor tires. That will kill stuff too.

Im hypersensitive too, maybe I should try one of those suits. Last bad rash I had the doctor told me that about 25% of the people are hypersensitive, about 25% wont be bothered by it no matter how much contact and the other 50% fall in the middle.

i guess me and you fall into the hypersensitive, i did take a drug called prednizone (or something that sounds like that) and it helped me tremendously (so if anyone has a bad case of poison ivy make sure you go to your doc and get some of that stuff)... after my first bad case of ivy ive now always worn my full suit if im anywhere near the shyt... stuff is the DEVIL himself!

i guess me and you fall into the hypersensitive, i did take a drug called prednizone (or something that sounds like that) and it helped me tremendously (so if anyone has a bad case of poison ivy make sure you go to your doc and get some of that stuff)... after my first bad case of ivy ive now always worn my full suit if im anywhere near the shyt... stuff is the DEVIL himself!

Ive got the prednisone a couple times, one time I cleared my yard along a stone wall and basically played in the stuff for hours, it was actually poison oak which I didnt identify at the time. I was puffed up like a blow fish and had to go to the doctor for that rash.

Ditto on the triclopyr and on bathing with dish detergent. In areas where I don't want to kill everything in sight, I brush the triclopyr onto the vine (full-strength) with a chip brush (disposable paint brush). Glyphosphate is not too useful against PI, unless you apply over and over, until it eventually dies. As already mentioned there is a Round-Up product which contains triclopyr, labeled for poison ivy, which is different from the standard glyphosphate-only product. This works well, but costs about 100x more than just buying generic triclopyr.

If you're exposed, wash in cool water (warm water opens the poors - bad things will happen) with dish detergent. Another option is any alcohol-based soap (many face soaps). Best to do it before the rash breaks out, but still helpful anytime inside of 48 hours, as that's about how long it takes your physiology to neutralize the oils on the skin.

If you do catch a nasty case, steroids are the typical treatment. Prednisone is most common, but can have side effects. Topical steroids are a PITA to constantly apply, but avoid most of the side effects of an oral dose.

Stuff is the bane of my existence. Sucks 'cause I've worked outside or in the green industry all my life too. I get it all the time. Really bad cases I use Zanfel (expensive!) but even that really only stops it from spreading on the surface and helps it heal faster. Nothing I know of will make the rash vanish overnight. I too have heard the scratch it and apply bleach remedy, (some even use sandpaper!) but I'm a bit reluctant to go pouring bleach on an open wound.

I find a scorching hot shower delivers an oh-so-satisfying burn that seems to keep the itching at bay for a little while.

I do not advocate using a weed wacker (with a string head) in areas of known PI growth. Just sprays the urushiol EVERYWHERE.

From Wikipedia:

Before urushiol has been absorbed by the skin it can be removed with soap and water. However, time is of great importance as 50% of urushiol is absorbed with 10 minutes. Once urushiol has penetrated into the skin, attempting to remove with water is inefficient.

Been meaning to test drive a barrier cream like Ivy Block. Gotta find some first!

60% of the trees around here have f$&%ing Ivy vines all over them!

Been meaning to test drive a barrier cream like Ivy Block. Gotta find some first!

I got mine from Amazon. I can attest that it works, I had 4 full hours of PI sawdust chips from a chainsaw right in my face, down shirt, etc. Did not break out. The one area around my waste that I forgot to apply it to I got a nice rash.

My property was covered in PI when we moved in, I used regular Roundup or generic equivalent and it worked a treat for everything except the large vines growing up the tree trunks, but those just got chopped. Each Spring now, I just walk around and get the new arrivals with Roundup before they become a problem.

TE

I am very sensitive to PI and if I even think there is a chance I have been exposed I take a shower with soap, shampoo, and dish detergent and wash every inch of myself a couple of times. It has prevented me from getting the rash for years now even though PI is pretty common in my area. I use Roundup and spray each leaf of any PI that appears on my property. It might not be the way to remove an established plant, but Roundup kills small, new plants pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.