How to dry short pieces of firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neverbilly

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2015
Arkansas, USA
I had some rounds that are 8-12" long because the rounds were so heavy cut to length that I had to cut them in half so I could lift them without getting a hernia, lol. So, now I have split the 8-12" tall rounds (the rounds were about 30" in diameter) and I need to dry them but they won't stack too well. Seems I have seen people make a round circle out of hog wire, which is what we call it. I think it might be called field fence also.

I have seen mention of an HH stack. I don't know what that means.

I also saw someone mention building a 'box' out of 5 pallets. I need to find a source for pallets!

How can one stack odd length pieces or what kind of thingamajig do you use?

Depending on how much you have and what kind of wood it is..........the 8"-11" long pieces wood be in my fire pit stack or my BBQ pit stack (cherry or hickory) the 12"+ long splits, stack them on top of a wood pile that has longer splits.....or take your chicken wire / hog wire and wrap it around 3 or 4 posts you drive into the ground a few times (around a pallet(s) or large rocks for a base) and toss them in.

Take a pallet,build a bin, take your wood and throw it in.
DSCF1233 (Medium)_1.JPG

Take a pallet,build a bin, take your wood and throw it in.
View attachment 172371

he's a poet and didn't know it:p but a good idea.

i stack my shorts in with regular splits. if they are 8-10" i can double them length wise and make one 16-20", which is usually what i cut. sometimes with limb wood mixed in the pile i can match up a funny crotch of limb to a short split. its kinda like playing Tetris and usually works out if you take some time.

or you could always noodle the large rounds, cutting length wise and keep the length. something to try in the future.

Reactions: Applesister
If you have that many start a separate stack, just don't go so high.

bob

I make round holz hausen stacks, and the short pieces go in the middle. Short pieces are nice because they will go in the stove "north/south" with one end of the piece facing the stove door. north south is a great way to load the stove, and if short pieces weren't more difficult to handle, I'd cut all my firewood short.

Status
Not open for further replies.