How to eliminate back draft with two stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSNovi

Feeling the Heat
May 12, 2010
Michigan
I have a Jotul Oslo in the basement and just installed a Jotul C350 insert in my zero clearance fireplace on the main floor. When I burn the 350 I feel a significant draft in the stove. It is can be a very cold draft if it is cold outside.

I think it is combustion air causing the draft and I think it is being pulled through the stove in the basement. I can feel cold air exiting the inlet of the
Oslo while burning the 350 and the stove is ice cold.

Would installing a stovepipe damper in the Oslo eliminate the back draft? Any other ideas?

One other issue. Since both chimneys are near each other, smoke will get sucked down through the Oslo chimney and into the house. I would like eliminate that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.