How to eye ball cords when it's logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin*

Burning Hunk
Nov 29, 2011
SNOHOMISH, WA
So i'm going to go check this out tonight and was wondering if there's a better way to figure how much wood this is.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/3272722175.html

He said someone told him it's 5-6 cords and i could be able to get it for $200-300, it's not too far for me so it might be a good deal. Don't know how much logs are going for though, have only bought C/S/S before.

Looks like a lot of work too....

I wouldn't go over $200.
log length wood, 1/2 the price (or more) of CS & D. & it's delivered.
The work is in the processing from here, cut split stack & wait a year + for it to be ready to burn.

I estimate 2 cords of CSS there.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I agree with BD, I'm one of the guys that likes to get grapple loads and work the wood myself. My supplier delivers 7-8 cords per load and my loads are roughly in and around $100/cord. That prices seems to go up and down with demand and different times of the season. The truck I get is usually well packed with as long and straight logs as I can get. Some loads will have some odd shaped logs and he might throw me a discount because of the load being not packed.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I third the 2 cord C/S/S. 200 bucks or less. That is not alot of wood.

TS

That's probably around 1.5 cord.
somebody wants to get rid of it and make money, other wise they'd have c/s the stuff and sold it by the pickup load.

Guy must be thinking the old "face cord." Certainly not what he says there are. I would not pay that much.

One way to figure out how much wood is to calculate the volume of wood in a couple of the logs. Volume of a cylinder (logs are cyliner shaped, more or less) is: Pi x radius squared x length. So measure the radius of a log (half the diameter), convert the measurement to feet (divide the inches by 12) and square the number. Then multiply by 3 (pi is 3.14). Then multiply by the length in feet. This is the volume of solid wood in one log. Count the number of similar logs and multiply the volume in one log by the number of logs. When you figure out the radius I'd measure a couple of logs to make sure you use an average radius in your calculation. This method gives the volume of solid wood in the logs. A cord is about 85 cubic feet of solid wood (128 cubic feet of stacked splits, but a lot of the space is the stack is air space, not solid wood).

Another way is to measure the outside dimensions of the pile - width, length, height - and multiply all three together. Make sure you measure all in feet. With logs you probably get a little less solid wood in a volume of space than you do with stacked splits, so it might take 140 or 150 cubic feet of stacked logs to make a cord of stacked splits. That pile is not very uniform in shape so you might have to calculate the volume of the left part of the pile (which is stacked a little higher) and separately calculate the volume of hte right end (which is less high).

That pile of logs doesn't look like a 5 or 6 cords to me.

kevin -
it certainly is alot of work but well worth it for the right price. i agree with the estimates already stated here at between 1 and 2 cords. green, plenty of softwood and you pick up? i think $150 is a fair price but i'd feel better if it was all maple. if you need wood for next year its probably worth it.

I second the other guys' opinions. Not much there, $150 would be my limit......

I doubt that that pile will make 2 cord of wood C/S/S . Maybe 1.5 .

Well i went by to see it and although i was unable to measure the logs due to them being behind a locked fence it looks like it will be a job for my truck and trailer plus my brother's truck and trailer, plus the bobcat with the grapple bucket. He will let me know if he will sell to me or someone else by the weekend, if i get it then i will take some video of loading/cutting.
Thanks!

$100 if it was all fir,150 if all maple. I'd offer $125. You still have a fair amount of work left bucking,loading,hauling,splitting & stacking.

Here is how i do it. Go to www.globalwood.org and put in the measurements to get cu ft volumn. I use inside bark measurements. I pay 50.00 for 90 cu ft of log. I do not pay for air or bark. Been good for me. Like fir. Tim

Oh, click technology then cu foot volumn of log. Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.