how to figure heat loads and boiler size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cvanhat

Jul 3, 2008
upstate ny
i installed a eko 60 and 500 gal storage three years ago, i never let the fire go out as we are here all day and its easier just to keep it goin. anyway i have a work shop that is 52 X 60 with 18 foot sidewalls and has 7 500 foot 5/8 loops in the floor. we did heat it with fuel oil then switched it to waste oil, but that is a pain. thinking of runing lines from my eko out to the shop and installing 500 gal of storage and use that to help heat the shop. not sure if i have enough heat or if i should just install a 2nd wood boiler out in the shop. any help would be welcome!!!

I would run a heat loss calculation on the workshop so I know how much more load I would be putting on the Eko 60. I would look at the oil usage on the workshop to double check a heat loss calculator. Would the Eko be able to handle the combined load of the house and workshop? If it can handle the load and still charge 1000 gallons (8,000btu/degree of temperature rise) of storage you can calculate how many hours of buffer without firing you have available.

If you're never letting the fire go out does that mean your EKO is idling a fair amount?

yes it is at an idle for a far bit. we only run the boiler from thanksgiving untill mid april. but i dont know if it would be enough to heat the shop on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.