How to find a tank from Craigslist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn-1

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2006
Lakes Region, NH
OK, first things first. You will need, well at least want to get a Google account if you don't already have one, so you can use Google Reader. Otherwise you will need a RSS feed reader. Also for this to work best you need to use Firefox as your browser. It's a little involved but should help you find a tank or anything else you're looking for without too much effort.

1. Open up Firefox and go to this site:http://crazedlist.org/#

This is a tool which allows you to do multiple city Craigslist searches. Craigslist is all about being a local resource which is why they don't have a feature like this on their own. And, they've sort of stomped on many people who have tried to do this themselves. (Note step 5 below)

2. At the top left is a white search term box. Enter in a search, in quotes for exact matches if you wish. Examples would include "gallon propane tank", "gallon bulk tank", "gallon milk tank", "propane tank" gallons etc.

3. In the white box next to that select a category in this case 'sale/wanted' You can also choose to search titles only or only ads with pics.

4. Choose the areas you would like to search and check in the boxes. Locations are listed by state alphabetically. If you're looking in Canada or beyond you need to search worldwide, in which case you might also have to search by liters, etc

5. Most important! You want to hit 'Get RSS feeds'. If you don't and don't disable referrers in Firefox, Craigslist might get mad and block your IP.

6. When you do this you will get the .xml file which contains all the searches. At the top left there will be a blue underlined link called this link. Right click and hit 'Save as' and save the file to your desktop with a name like mysearch.opml or tanksearch.opml. Make sure that .opml is the file extension.

7. Open your RSS reader to where you can manage your subscriptions. In Google Reader, click on 'manage subscriptions' on the lower left and then go to 'import/export subscriptions' browse to the .opml file you saved on your desktop.

Now you can sit back and look and whatever might have turned up. However, you can also come back to your RSS reader daily or setup alerts when there are new postings which match your search.

Alternatively, one could also use the Google tool 'site:' For example in Google enter: "gallon propane tank" site:craigslist.org and you will get much of the same from the tools above but often many are bad links which have been expired or removed and you can't then use RSS.

Doing a test run for the states around NH I found this Mueller 1000 gallon dairy bulk tank in St. Albans, VT. I'm pretty sure it's stainless and priced at $1/gallon. Not too bad

Thanks B1!

I've tried Craig's list manually and gave up after a dozen or so area searches. Too time consuming and w/o results. I'll give this a shot!

Sorry, missed the end of the post where you do suggest google as an alternative..I got lost in the techno-babble....never could understand the purpose of RSS feeds, and just maybe this old dog just doesn't want to learn new tricks...

craigslist is great for finding firewood too. People sell split cords, full trucks of uncut/unsplit trees, trees they want taken down if you take the wood, or my favorite, the rare case where someone has cut rounds that they want you to take for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.