How to find an installer who actually knows about wood furnaces?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
Is there some kind of certification that I can ask for when calling about the furnace I am about to have installed? Its a whole house wood furnace that's going to sit in series downstream of an electric heat pump (Trane) forced-air system, and I don't want some idiot getting the wiring wrong and burning down the house.

I'm in central NJ, if anyone can make me a recommendation.

Thanks

Dean

Really, you have two separate skill sets involved. Any heating contractor ought to be able to hook up your hot air distribution. But when it comes to connecting the actual furnace to the chimney, a regular p/h guy is not going to touch that. If you don't make the chimney connection yourself, find a good woodstove installer to do it for you. Then call the other guy.

I helped my heating contractor tie in the duct work. I was going to do it myself but after helping him I'm glad he did it not my me.
He billed me @ 10hrs. He was there 7 hrs and he had bent what could at his shop 65$ an hour,so it was 650$ to install.I ran the wiring, and hooked up the smokepipe.
Hooking into the cental air duct is about the same for wood furance or a oil one it seemed.

Yeah, that's my point. Most conventional heating professionals won't have anything to do with connecting a wood-burning appliance to the chimney, but the rest of it is pretty routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.