How to find BTU? or Effincery?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie88

May 13, 2011
maine
I know this has been taked about before but I am not sure still if I have this correct? I have 300 Gal. water started with it at 100*, I ran my boiler [Gasser] for 1 hour and 20 minutes to get water up to 190*, with some hot coals left over, The wood is ash,chuncks kilm dried. at 55lbs of it. I built this myself so not sure of BTU. or anything, just it works very GOOD. Can anyone figure this or tell me where to look for methed to do it?

300gallons of water X 8.32 #/gallon of water x 90F Temperature Rise =224,640 btus

224,640/1.33 hours run time = 168,022.5 btus/hour

55# dry ash X 6,000 btus/pound (that number is +/-)= 330,000 btus

224,640/330,000=68% Efficiency

A couple caveats: First is the tank temperature. You really need to have measurements at the top, center and bottom of the tank to get an accurate
read on the starting and ending temperature.
Second, the fuel should be tested for moisture content since dry is a relative term.

Looks pretty good. I would love to get ash scraps. Heck any scraps that are relatively dry are fun to burn. I used to get them but am not near a mill anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.