How to fix a hole in in-floor pex tubing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emesine

Apr 24, 2009
Indiana
I pressurized my system and did my first burn in the wood gun this AM. All went well with the boiler loop (now that the leak is fixed.) All went well with the heating loops, the 4-way i series mixing valve worked great.

About 15 minutes after pressurizing the system I heard an ominous tapping noise. It sounded like water dripping slowly onto an air conditioning duct..... which it was. They guys that put the flooring in hit one of the pex tubes clean through the middle. After having a small heart attack I isolated that manifold and drained it. 30 minutes later my builder happened to show up for another reason. We were able to find the hole quickly (the wood above it had taken up water and was beginning to warp.) We tore off the trim and 4 boards, exposing a nail hole in the PEX.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Andrew

Cut tubing (at nail hole) with tubing cutter. Install pex coupler with crimp rings. 5 min fix. Then your happy.

Would a SharkBite (SharkByte??) connector work if for whatever reason you don't have a pex coupler? I used one to hook copper to pex in a place I was NOT going to solder, and was amazed at how easy it was and (so far; several months) no leak. GL, either way. j

My installer wouldn't do a crimp fitting as the tubing is pex-aluminum-pex. He ordered a compression type fitting and put it in place. Looks great.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.