How to fix this ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
Any thoughts on how you would clean this up to make a little more presentable? Might be selling and don't want buyers to be concerned. We long ago successfully fixed the issue that caused the water damage around where the chimney goes through the ceiling (top floor). Is trying to match the texture the best option? Or maybe some sort of moulding around the chimney? The damage area is about 4 inches out from the brick.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.JPG
    IMG_4395.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_4394.JPG
    IMG_4394.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 239
My concern would be what looks like black mold there.
Other than addressing that, if the wallboard is still structurally sound, the damaged textured finish can be removed and a new texture applied. That finish is not that hard to replicate and blend in with the surrounding area.

Re mud the area. I bet crinkled aluminum foil pushed into the wet mud would give a close enough texture. Use a shellac based primer and repaint the entire ceiling

And clean the brick/grout too. You can see water damage in the masonry.

That texture will be more easily replicated with a sponge or a crows foot brush (check the drywall tools isle at your favorite drywall mud store).

Looks like the grout has failed in some bricks, may need repointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.