1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

HOW TO FIX VC RESOLUTE DOORS

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by jgmanchester, Dec 20, 2011.

1. jgmanchester

jgmanchester New Member

Loc:
    RI
    i recently removedthe doors from my resolute III to regasket them....including the glass panels. each door has two retaining tabs and a 10/24 screw for the glass. one screw hole in each door is ng, one seemingly is reamed out with no apparent threads, the other broke and i had to drill. question being. how do i fix being that the holes arent deep enough to tap the threads. thanks for the help

J

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Idealy you would drill the holes out to the tap diameter of the next largest set screw size. A visit to the hardware store should reveal the next size up set screw, the appropiate tap and the correct tap drill. If the hole is blind or shallow you may need to grind the end square off the tap, creating a bottoming tap, AFTER you start the new threads.

The next option would be a heli-coil, might be even more difficult.

Possibly the best choice would be to have a new tab welded (not brazed) on.

If you get totaly FUBAR, PM me. I am down on the cape and restore antique stoves as a hobby. I have a full machine/welding shop.